bcd996

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Why?

Have you found a problem that needs fixing?

So far the bug reports seem to be non-existant for this scanner.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
Why?

Have you found a problem that needs fixing?

So far the bug reports seem to be non-existant for this scanner.

Well, not exactly. A few people have mentioned the display intensity problem that newbie mentioned. Plus myself and a few others have discovered the problem of the scanner sometimes stopping on the control channel of Motorola systems. I have sent files of my configuration of this problem to Paul Opitz, and I know Uniden is looking into it. However, before a firmware update can be issued, they have to discover the cause of the problem or problems, and then determine if a firmware update would fix it.

Then of course, there's another possible bug I've discovered, where a System Quick Key seemingly stops responding, and will not toggle a system off or on until it is re-entered.

djbrane

newbie said:
Like the display colour and intensity having a mind of it's own? Switches every time you power up / down?

I haven't had any problems with either of these issues. I really have not had any problems at all with it, been a great scanner so far!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
newbie said:
Like the display colour and intensity having a mind of it's own? Switches every time you power up / down?

The intensity and color problem sounds more like hardware not software (firmware). Curious if you tried another power supply to see if it still had the problem. I've heard of more than one "wall-wort" failure.

The control channel problem however does sound like a firmware issue.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
Then of course, there's another possible bug I've discovered, where a System Quick Key seemingly stops responding, and will not toggle a system off or on until it is re-entered.

I have seen this same issue a couple of times with my BCT-15, too. It hangs on an LTR system and no matter whether you press the SQK multiple times, it still won't change over to another (conventional) SQK'd system.

My solution has been to turn the unit off and back on, or just start a search then press scan again.

I have faith in Uniden, though. If there's a problem they eventually will fix it.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Interesting.

I have seen the display change intensity a few times but it's been pretty rare so it's not a big deal.

However, the stopping on the control channel on a Motorola system is something I have experienced quite a few times.

The scanner will stop on the control channel, unmute and remain there. The system name and site name will alternate. Pressing lockout locks the site out temporarily.

Is this what you are seeing?

So far I've experienced this with a VHF Smartzone system installed about 2 years ago. It's counterpart which was installed a few years prior does not exhibit this problem and I'm scanning a couple of more sites so the problem should have shown up on it as well.

blueline_308

I posted most of this in the TRUNKING forum a few days ago. I am posting this here because I too have had the CC lockup problem..this may be a reason for it....:

"The two systems that I am trying to monitor are 1) Rocky Mount, SYS ID 130C, 50 miles away @ 300 degrees. 2) New Bern, SYS ID 5631, 30 miles @ 180 degrees. New Bern changes its CC daily, so today, I can monitor some Rocky Mount....but I think that I found something...since they both share the freq 859.2625, which New Bern is using as CC today, whenever Rocky Mount uses that freq, the 996 will stay locked on the freq and I can hear New Berns CC. This may be the root of the CC lockups so many have been having with the 996. Apparently there is no way to activate dataskip on Mot 800 systems. BTW, this is all in North Carolina. I wonder how the two agencies deal with this...they are 70 miles apart."

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i`ve never had any of those problems. i leave my back light on 24/7 and use the mot2 system.. sounds like you need to send you scanners in to be serviced.. that wouldnt be a firmware issue.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
blueline_308 said:
since they both share the freq 859.2625, which New Bern is using as CC today, whenever Rocky Mount uses that freq, the 996 will stay locked on the freq and I can hear New Berns CC.

I think you've got a different problem.

You're saying that when one system uses the frequency as a voice channel and the other system uses it as a control channel, your scanner locks up?

That's normal.

Your scanner is using the drop of the voice carrier to tell it the conversation is over and to go back to the control channel. When the voice channel assigned is the same as the control channel on the distant system, the carrier never drops.

You can enable the option to check for the end code instead of the carrier drop and you can also try enabling the attenuator on that particular system.

N1508J

I posted the "mind of it's own" problem with the display changing intensity a few weeks ago also. Intemittents are the worst to nail down. Mine never changes color, simply intensity. Not worried about it cuz the rig works fine. Like I said in the post, the change takes place mobile or base, thus eliminating the AC/DC converter. It will change only when it is NOT in high intensity mode. I suspect a batch of sick chips that have a bug running around in them that some of us got, and others got rigs with healthy chips thus no intensity weirdo operations. Bottom line, IF the problem can be traced to an discrete componet, and IF it is a simple repair...(plug in like a chip), then I MIGHT wanna fix it. Otherwise it's just not that biga deal.

DaveIN said:
The intensity and color problem sounds more like hardware not software (firmware). Curious if you tried another power supply to see if it still had the problem. I've heard of more than one "wall-wort" failure.

The control channel problem however does sound like a firmware issue.

Yep does the same with both the wall wort and cig adapter. Since the setting is stored in "memory" it could be firmware as well

clayman

My problems with control channel hang and quick keys not working correctly went away when I changed the delay on all my conventional systems to 1 sec or greater. Got the tip from "spooney" and my 996 has been working flawlessly since.
Clayton

JGP

newbie said:

Have you tried going to settings in the menue to set the backlight from auto to manual? That should take care of the problem.

Joel

JGP

newbie said:

Have you tried going to settings in the menu to set the backlight from auto to manual? That should take care of the problem.

Joel

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
newbie said:
Yep does the same with both the wall wort and cig adapter. Since the setting is stored in "memory" it could be firmware as well

I still think it's a hardware problem, maybe a grounding issue. If you think it is firmware maybe you sould back up the software and then dump all memory contents using the Butel Clone program and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.