BCD996P2 3, 6 & 9 Buttons Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Suddenly my 3, 6 and 9 buttons stopped functioning. I noticed it when I tried to use a Quick Key. I deleted everything and reloaded all settings with no change. I cannot reset the scanner because you need to press 2,9 and hold all at once and 9 is doa.

Is there a possible setting that got changed accidentally, or am I going to have to have the scanner serviced by Uniden .
Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Mike

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless there is a loose connector you can re-seat, you'll need to send it in.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I went to the Uniden Scanner Support page at Find Your Product. They do not even list the BCD996P2 at all, only the XT model.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and suggestion Ronaldski I tried, but no change.

Thanks
Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I went to the Uniden Scanner Support page at Find Your Product. They do not even list the BCD996P2 at all, only the XT model.

I had a similar issue with a BCD996T and a BCT15 a few years ago. I opened the radio and reseated the ribbon cable between the main board and the daughter board containing the display and keyboard and all was well with the world again.

Uniden later added a dab of glop to help retain the ribbon connector in its sockets to newer radios so I assume it was not an isolated incident.

Look at the interior pictures of this 536 at https://forums.radioreference.com/u...hp-discriminator-inside-look.html#post2120270

These show the typical Uniden ribbon connector, in this case a 536. Even with the glop these cables can work loose.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar issue with a BCD996T and a BCT15 a few years ago. I opened the radio and reseated the ribbon cable between the main board and the daughter board containing the display and keyboard and all was well with the world again.

Uniden later added a dab of glop to help retain the ribbon connector in its sockets to newer radios so I assume it was not an isolated incident.

Look at the interior pictures of this 536 at https://forums.radioreference.com/u...hp-discriminator-inside-look.html#post2120270

These show the typical Uniden ribbon connector, in this case a 536. Even with the glop these cables can work loose.

BLESS YOU, SIR! You just saved me $79.00!, plus not having the scanner for however long it took. I had reinserted the wrong connector. I did not check the ribbon cable. This radio already had the goop on the cable, I just applied a little downward pressure on the tab and viola!

Thanks!
Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
BLESS YOU, SIR! You just saved me $79.00!, plus not having the scanner for however long it took. I had reinserted the wrong connector. I did not check the ribbon cable. This radio already had the goop on the cable, I just applied a little downward pressure on the tab and viola!

Thanks!
Mike

Fantabulous!

On my radios that did not have the factory applied glop I used a bit of Elmer's Glue. I have not had an issue since, base or mobile.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Fantabulous!

On my radios that did not have the factory applied glop I used a bit of Elmer's Glue. I have not had an issue since, base or mobile.

Great! I see you have Scanner Master in your tag. I am sitting here awaiting the UPS delivery of my new BCD536 from them as we speak. Fast shipping!

Thanks again,
Mike

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Wow, Just saw the pics of your shack! We have similar interests it seems. I am retired LE and am a rail-fan as well as a contributor to Planefinder so I constantly "airwatching" when outside. I live about 70 miles outside NYC so my house is under one of the approaches to Newark and JFK.
Nice setup! What do you monitor on all the scanners? Are some in search mode? Very nice and professionally designed.

Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
I currently use 10 BCT15/15X's to search in the Mil Air bands, the other scanners follow railroad, other aircraft freqs, GMRS and other local activity.

I am waiting on a shelf I ordered to be made and when I get that I will update the shack pics.

I had a ribbon cable display issue with my BCT15, but I had never used it for 10 years. It frustrated me so much after I bought it New that I gave up on it (went to digital) and it sat in the box in the closet since then. I took it out this March, programmed it all up for the remaining analog stuff. It worked fine till May, then the display went flaky, strange/missing digits. I tried the DC power cable in the car, same issue. The display backlight brightness level was oscillating wildly so I was sure this was a power issue. The scanner was still rxing fine the sound was fine and had no smoke coming out. I tore it apart, no burnt smells, took the magnifying glass to the board parts, pulled off the display's ribbon cable, but it was still good and secured, gave it a few finger taps and put it all back together, updated the firmware and it was fixed. It saw no vibration whatsoever in a box. Works fine now. Scanner Gremlins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.