BCD996P2 and free scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Hi,

Does anyone know if the FREEscan program will work with a Uniden BCD996P2?
I don't think any DMR or Phase 1 and 2 Systems are compatible in freescan.

If not does anyone know of a program that will support a BCD996P2, or does anyone know if freescan has any plans to update?

Thanks
Nick

CP285

Premium Subscriber
It will work for the 996p2, I have the same scanner and it worked well. Unfortunately will not do DMR.

marksmith

Version 2.18 does fine with 996 p2 and other scanners retro to that (996xt, 396xt, etc) and also works fine with 325 p2.

It does not handle the add on modes Provoice or DMR to my knowledge.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
yes, i use freecan to program my 996p2 AND 396 xt's (have two of them). i use the same file for each also. very convenient. will not do DMR, however. i am thnking of selling the 996p2. i just dont like it that much. not sure what i would get in its place, if anything.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
yes, i use freecan to program my 996p2 AND 396 xt's (have two of them). i use the same file for each also. very convenient. will not do DMR, however. i am thnking of selling the 996p2. i just dont like it that much. not sure what i would get in its place, if anything.

Check for a PM.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Since FreeSCAN has stated over and again never to support the Home Patrol type of line up, one would wonder if EDACS PV (which is about to be useless anyway) or DMR support will ever be added. When was FreeSCAN last updated anyway? You're much better off using ARCXT/PRO or ProScan.

marksmith

Freescan was last updated about a year ago to support the 325p2 and 996p2, version 2.18

I doubt that they are interested in writing in DMR and such, as there is such a limited number of radios involved that Freescan supports. Just these two, and DMR does not come with the radios.

If you are not messing with DMR or Provoice, it is still a great choice, compatible with 396/996 and a group of other radios where you csn load the same file and maintain just one database, and you can't beat the price.

Mark

tazn8tr

Question about 996P2, I just purchased this scanner, I can upgrade the PROVOICE, OR DMR/MotoTRBO, the question is do I need too? I am a newbie to this, Ive updated the firmware took 4 hours, and have programmed my P25's,all working great, ARC XT PRO worked perfectly for programming along with RR data base, suggestions??
remember I'm just starting out learning this stuff

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Question about 996P2, I just purchased this scanner, I can upgrade the PROVOICE, OR DMR/MotoTRBO, the question is do I need too? I am a newbie to this, Ive updated the firmware took 4 hours, and have programmed my P25's,all working great, ARC XT PRO worked perfectly for programming along with RR data base, suggestions??

Upgrade in what way?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Whether you would "need" to purchase the upgrade for DMR and ProVoice depends on your interests.

Looking at the trunking systems in Arkansas, I did not see any using ProVoice. However, if you planned on taking your scanner when you travel, whether for pleasure, visiting friends and relatives, or business, then you'd need to look at those areas, or ones you'd be passing through, to see if any entity of interest is using that format.

For DMR, check your county and the surrounding ones (and any you visit with regularity) to see agencies and companies licensed for DMR. Check here: Digital Frequency Search

In Pulaski County, I see North Little Rock school district using NXDN for buses. Your scanner is not capable of NXDN, so no upgrade matters for this.

I see a number of DMR channels listed for Faulkner County, but there are also notes about users migrating to a new P25 (digital) system. For your county, as well as those near you, if you use the digital frequency search link above, I suspect you'll find more licensed users in the area. I would have no idea how many are active.

Here in Dallas, I did do the DMR upgrade, since there are users that interest me. I also did the ProVoice update on one scanner, since, for now, DFW Airport uses ProVoice.

marksmith

If you are new to this, I would not spend the money on Provoice or DMR. Figure out if there is anything to listen to first.

Hate to have you spend $100 or more, only to learn you can now monitor the tow truck that runs every now and then.

I have been scanning for 40 years, and I cannot justify the upgrade cost compared to what I will be able to hear with them.

Mark

tazn8tr

Thanks, since Im still trying figure what exactly my interest are or where they are going I will just leave things as they are, I see provoice is null in my area and Im not going mobile I just leave this alone thank you for the info and advice, it is greatly appreciated,

marksmith

Thanks, since Im still trying figure what exactly my interest are or where they are going I will just leave things as they are, I see provoice is null in my area and Im not going mobile I just leave this alone thank you for the info and advice, it is greatly appreciated,
Unless you come across something in the FCC database or the DMR database that you really want to monitor, the cost is not worth it.

I have also found that some of the things listed on that DMR database are not DMR and I can monitor them just fine as FM or NFM, with no upgrade.

I think some of those licenses are prospective, and not yet DMR, but still conventional.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.