BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 direct connection to car battery

Billygoat

Premium Subscriber
So I have my bcd996P2 connected directly to my car battery. I just noticed today , while it was on as I went into a store, I started the car and the scanner went off and back on as I started the car so I lost all my temp lockouts. Any idea why this might be happening Appreciate all replies Thank you,
Bill

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Probably time for a new battery … voltage is dropping when you start vehicle.
Seconded.

I’d also recommend you get a beefier battery with more CCA. Your scanner shouldn’t take much in regards of power so it really shouldn’t power off due to starting the car. If you had a 110 watt VHF radio and a couple others in the mix - maybe.

There should be a sticker or something indicating the manufacturer date of the battery. If it’s older than a couple years old it might be time for a new one.

My radio did once serve as an early warning to me that my alternator was about to go out. The screen started to dim and it was like another 10 minutes before my low battery light appeared.

In short spend the extra $20 or 30 on the better battery.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Nope Brand New battery I work on cars a lot and voltage is good and load tested
The only thing that would cause what you describe is a voltage sag. If it's not the battery, then it's too small of a wire somewhere between scanner and battery. The scanner doesn't know you turning the key and say it's a good time for me to shut off. The voltage is dropping below the threshold for it to operate.

Ok, one more thought. You plugged into cig lighter or accessory plug? Maybe it gets turned off when starting?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Nope Brand New battery I work on cars a lot and voltage is good and load tested
Then check your scanner connections at the battery (you said it was directly connected to the battery) that they are clean, tightly connected and at least 18 awg or heavier gauge, stranded wire. Likewise check the connection at the scanner end.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Two points on your scanner installation.

First the positive lead should be connected to the battery. The negative lead should be connected to a ground source close to the scanner.

Newer vehicles have battery monitors, so you shouldn't connect both to the battery. Also for the radio's safety it's better to wire it this way..

Also it's best for your scanner to be off before starting the engine, so. You could corrupt the programming in it during the voltage drop when the starter is drawing most of current. You could also cause other problems with the scanner that may damage it by having it on during an engine start.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
So I have my bcd996P2 connected directly to my car battery. I just noticed today , while it was on as I went into a store, I started the car and the scanner went off and back on as I started the car so I lost all my temp lockouts. Any idea why this might be happening Appreciate all replies Thank you,
Bill

You’ve run a “bus” from battery to radio. Hopefully it’s 18 gauge stranded wire. (Nice to have a good size wire gauge for additional taps in the future.) It’s got an appropriate in-line fuse on BOTH the positive and negative lines. It’s got solid connections to the battery. Does the 996 have a third wire that connects to the accessory side of the ignition switch? It tells the radio when the vehicle is off and will allow the radio to automatically shut down and turn back on every time you turn on or off the ignition switch. I doubt the 996 has that feature but I could be mistaken. If all everyone here has mentioned is in order, and it still reboots every time you start your vehicle, I’d make sure both lines are fused with the proper size fuse and get the battery load tested again. I wouldn’t worry about loosing your temp lockout settings as much as I’d be worrying about damaging the radio. That drop in power could be a sign of the starter motor drawing more than it should (because it’s on its way out) and when it stops cranking when the vehicle starts, there could be a surge, so fuse those lines and analyze your electrical system.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Does the 996 have a third wire that connects to the accessory side of the ignition switch? It tells the radio when the vehicle is off and will allow the radio to automatically shut down and turn back on every time you turn on or off the ignition switch. I doubt the 996 has that feature but I could be mistaken.
-
The third (orange) wire on the BCD996P2 12V automotive wiring harness, as with many other Uniden scanners, is for the display dimming function.

From the BCD996P2 owner's manual...
Dimmer Circuit - A special wire lets you connect to the dimmer circuit of your vehicle so the vehicle’s dimmer also dims the scanner’s lighting.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I guess I have a differing view. Regardless of battery age, etc., every time the engine starts, it draws enough stuff from the battery to re-boot the scanner. Folks that have the kind of vehicles that turn off at red lights see this a lot.

You can do a lot of fancy wiring with a second battery and overcome this, but program revision may be easier.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I agree with ofd8001 and think it's going to happen on every engine start.

In closing it's mostly best to turn off the scanner when shutting off the engine and turn back on after the vehicle is running.

Billygoat

Premium Subscriber
The only thing that would cause what you describe is a voltage sag. If it's not the battery, then it's too small of a wire somewhere between scanner and battery. The scanner doesn't know you turning the key and say it's a good time for me to shut off. The voltage is dropping below the threshold for it to operate.

Ok, one more thought. You plugged into cig lighter or accessory plug? Maybe it gets turned off when starting?
No it's right too the battery it's the cable I had my 40 watt radio GMRS radio connected to but I took that radio out

Billygoat

Premium Subscriber
You’ve run a “bus” from battery to radio. Hopefully it’s 18 gauge stranded wire. (Nice to have a good size wire gauge for additional taps in the future.) It’s got an appropriate in-line fuse on BOTH the positive and negative lines. It’s got solid connections to the battery. Does the 996 have a third wire that connects to the accessory side of the ignition switch? It tells the radio when the vehicle is off and will allow the radio to automatically shut down and turn back on every time you turn on or off the ignition switch. I doubt the 996 has that feature but I could be mistaken. If all everyone here has mentioned is in order, and it still reboots every time you start your vehicle, I’d make sure both lines are fused with the proper size fuse and get the battery load tested again. I wouldn’t worry about loosing your temp lockout settings as much as I’d be worrying about damaging the radio. That drop in power could be a sign of the starter motor drawing more than it should (because it’s on its way out) and when it stops cranking when the vehicle starts, there could be a surge, so fuse those lines and analyze your electrical system.
It's 12 gauge from a 40 watt mobile Yes I will turn it off from now on Thanks

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I guess that’s the easiest workaround for your problem. You will still loose your temp avoids but maybe you could set up multiple programs, with differing channels, all active, leaving out those you set to avoid.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my 2004 Mercury. The battery voltage would drop down to app. 9 VDC upon starting the engine. There is no ignition wire to power the radio it only powers the LEDs. I purchased the DROK Voltage Regulator from Amazon and the problem went away. DROK® DC-DC...

majoco

Stirrer
I have a Navman GPS run from a cigar lighter socket via a 12v/5v converter. If I left it turned on while cranking to start it would get badly corrupted and sometimes not even run at all. I fitted a switch into the positive lead to the GPS and I 'trained' myself to turn it off when turning the engine off and not to turn it on until the engine is running. I suspect there is a lot of hash from the starter motor that is corrupting the GPS and this is why the OEM car stereo system is disconnected while cranking.