BCD996P2 display gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have 2 BCD996P2 scanners. One set up for mostly MILAIR/MILCOM and the other I have set up with local P25 simulcast system/general conventional stuff. I take this radio out mobile a lot. It works great, and I get very little simulcast distortion issues while mobile. I am using a tri-band mobile antenna. I love these radios. My only gripe is the DISPLAY. While using the radio indoors, not too much of a problem. But mobile, the display is very hard to see. But all around, I am curious why they chose the color scheme, which is all VERY DARK colors with BLACK TEXT?????? My old eyes have a hard time. Since they designed the display with a choice of all DARK background colors, why didnt they give the option for WHITE TEXT which would provide better contrast? The only colors I can use are green and cyan. The other colors are too dark and murky.
And MAGENTA is UGLY. At least the SDS200 has a B/W option. I wonder how many other people feel this way? I also wonder if a firmware update in future could give us a WHITE TEXT option?! Probably not gonna happen but thats my 2 cents.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
did you try to adjust the intensity level of the colors by pushing on the volume knob? There are three different levels of intensity for each color. That makes a difference, try it.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Green are Cyan are the only ones which are good.

Mine is set with the green, then each channel has an alert set which flashes cyan. Makes it easier to see for my millennial eyes :)

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Green are Cyan are the only ones which are good.

Mine is set with the green, then each channel has an alert set which flashes cyan. Makes it easier to see for my millennial eyes :)

Different people have difficulty with some colors. Blue is one that is often difficult for guys. But you can set the backlight to a color that works for you.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
well glad to see at least SOME people agree with me! I have tried adjusting intensity, contrast...but what I am trying to say is a DARK color with BLACK TEXT over it is HARD to see with reasonable contrast. Cyan and Green are the only colors that are not as dark as the other colors, therefore the black text isn't as hard to see clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.