BCD996P2 in Tulsa County

Status
Not open for further replies.

poboyradio

I know that Tulsa County uses OKWIn P25 Phase 1 Simulcast. Can I use the BCD996P2 or do I have to spend the money for SDS200, which is out of my price range? This is my first post. Thanks in advance.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD996P2 is capable of both P25 Phase 1 and 2. Go ahead and program the scanner and see how it works. If you receive the system OK, you don't have to worry about upgrading to the SDS200 scanner. You can download FreeSCAN. That is free software that you can use to program your scanner. Here is the link: FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

poboyradio

I don't have the BCD996P2 either. I dont want to spend $350, on the 996 and find out that it won't work. I know that the person providing the Tulsa County Police feed for Broadcastify is using the SDS200. The Simulcast makes it a little unsure, if it will work.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't have the BCD996P2 either. I dont want to spend $350, on the 996 and find out that it won't work. I know that the person providing the Tulsa County Police feed for Broadcastify is using the SDS200. The Simulcast makes it a little unsure, if it will work.
Look at the map of the simulcast sites in Tulsa County.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Whether simulcast will affect you are not is speculation without knowing your more exact location. If you are within a quarter mile or so of one of the towers, you might get a strong enough signal that it overrides the out of synch transmissions from other sites. Unless you know someone else very near your location, using the same or equivalent scanner as the 996P2 scanner, it's a crap-shoot. You won't know till you try it. Simulcast is extremely location influenced. If you are in the right place, where, because of terrain or structures blocking the signal path for the more distant sites (from you), then you might have no problem. Sometimes, even moving your scanner a few feet in one direction or another inside your house might make a noticeable difference. (That's presuming you are using the stock antenna. An external antenna is more likely to get too much signal from the other locations.) If you are in the 'wrong' place, then it might be a battle with little hope of winning.

If you plan on using your scanner just at home, not while out & about in your vehicle, you might have success using a directional antenna like a yagi. Aim it at a site that is in a direction where other sites are not behind it. That may cure the problem (or maybe not, no way to tell until you try it). The downside of a directional antenna is that you are focusing your reception in that direction, either losing reception for signals from different locations, or making their signal too weak for reliable listening.

If you want (or need) to stick with the 996P2, be sure and buy from a dealer with a buyer friendly return policy. If the 996P2 does not work, could you return it without taking a large hit on a restocking fee.

You might also ask that your thread be moved to the Oklahoma Forum. That would give you a better idea of whether or not it will work than can be determined by people not in your area. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Bob1955

Buy it from amazon.com and if it doesn't out, keep the box and all inside contents and return it within the 30 day window for a full refund. You don't even have to pay the return shipping to them. You print up return label and drop it off at UPS or a Staples store.
Hope this helps you out.

poboyradio

I'm running 2 996P2's with no issues in Tulsa.
That is great. I appreciate the reply. I was thinking of getting a Terrawave 900 MHz 15dBi Yagi Antenna. I live a couple miles west of the airport on Apache. The 2nd St Downtown and the 31st & Garnett towers look about the same distance. Aiming at either one won't have any towers on a direct line past it. What are you using for an antenna? Thanks...

poboyradio

So what is your question?

On the BCD996P2, I was asking if it would work in in Tulsa County which is Simulcast. Some say that Simulcast might get interference from two or more towers close by depending on the area. They also suggest using a Yagi to aim at a specific tower.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Mine are set-up as mobile and use 800Mhz antenna's, For home use I have a scantenna. If you go Yagi you need one for the 800Mhz.

poboyradio

Mine are set-up as mobile and use 800Mhz antenna's, For home use I have a scantenna. If you go Yagi you need one for the 800Mhz.

Maybe I won't need the Yagi then.
On Amazon, the description of the Terrawave states:
Ventev's TerraWave 824-960 MHz 15 dBi Yagi Antenna with N Jack is designed for applications in the 900 MHz frequency, including, radio frequency identification (RFID) applications, cellular systems, global system for mobile (GSM) communications, code-division multiple access systems (CDMA) applications, multipoint applications and wireless video links. The antenna's high gain and very narrow beamwidths enables long range connections.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I would just wait on the antenna for now, radio comes with one and after you program it and see how it does you can decide on an antenna.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm running 2 996P2's with no issues in Tulsa.
In Broken Arrow, you are far enough east of the main cluster of sites that simulcast is not an issue. That's much the same as my experience with the numerous simulcast systems here in the DFW area. I'm far enough out, they pose no problem. If and when Dallas & Dallas County build out and activate their planned P25 Phase II system, that will likely change, as I would be surrounded by simulcast sites in all directions and varying distances.

If the OP was more in the central Tulsa area, near the State Fair grounds, simulcast may well be an issue.
On the BCD996P2, I was asking if it would work in in Tulsa County which is Simulcast. Some say that Simulcast might get interference from two or more towers close by depending on the area. They also suggest using a Yagi to aim at a specific tower.
The directional antenna quite often can be a workable option. The downside is that you are mostly limiting yourself to the system your antenna is aimed at. A system that is, instead, in 'back' of you (opposite direction from the way the Yagi is aimed), might come in poorly, or not at all.

That's why I suggested ordering from a dealer with a consumer friendly return policy. That way, if the 996P2 does not work, you could return it with little, or no, cost, then decide if it's worth it to you to move up to either the SDS200, or one of the Unication pagers. The Unications handle simulcast well. Their downside is that they are not "true" scanners. You can only monitor one system/site at a time, and their talkgroup capacity is limited compared to current model scanners.

poboyradio

That's why I suggested ordering from a dealer with a consumer friendly return policy. That way, if the 996P2 does not work, you could return it with little, or no, cost, then decide if it's worth it to you to move up to either the SDS200

I think that is exactly what I am going to do. Thanks....

poboyradio

I would just wait on the antenna for now, radio comes with one and after you program it and see how it does you can decide on an antenna.

And if the built in antenna isn't good enough, I will try my Tram Discone I haven't put up yet. See how that goes. Thanks.....

Yes sir. I will try the antenna it comes with. If that doesn't work, I will try my Tram discone I have yet to put up. I bought the BC125AT last week for conventional and airband. I hooked up a Radio Shack PRO 2042, I bought used 3 years ago with broken internal antenna and never put up the discone. Just bought a $7 telescopic scanner antenna last week, and it works far better than I thought it would. I heard a Bartlesville repeater on the 2042 this morning and I am by airport. That blew my mind.

tvengr

Well Known Member
For when you get the BCD996P2, here is a Tulsa OK FreeSCAN file for programming it. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN. Click on Scanner tab and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems and Settings and click on Start Upload.

Attachments

• Tulsa OK.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 14

poboyradio

For when you get the BCD996P2, here is a Tulsa OK FreeSCAN file for programming it.

Thank you very much. I've only been a member, since Saturday and I am so impressed with the quick help of members and moderators. I should have became a member 9 years ago, or how ever long ago I came to know Radio Reference. I am kicking myself.

OK956

For when you get the BCD996P2, here is a Tulsa OK FreeSCAN file for programming it. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN. Click on Scanner tab and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems and Settings and click on Start Upload.
This zip right here! Thank you Tvengr! I've been sweating it out all night trying to figure out this bcd325p2 for Tulsa not understanding. I grew up on scanners. But back then it was just punch in the frequencies and go. Not so much anymore unfortunately. Now the help is vague and scarce.

I'd type out how I got it to work but it was many wandering steps and clicks.

For those struggling, digest version, change the setting on your scanners baud rate to the 11500 something and the same in freescan.

Download freescan. Google the drive update for your uniden. Change the freescan speed to the same. After a refresh select the com4 for the port and import this zip file.

I dont know how to describe exactly how I got there because it took quite a bit of clicks and finagling but it got there.

The scanner beeped and it downloaded and it works! Thank you thank you!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thank you Tvengr!
OKWIN Tulsa site is on system quick key 1. Group quick keys as follows:
1. Tulsa Co Sheriff
2. Tulsa Co Courts
3. Tulsa Co Jail
4. Tulsa Co DPW
5. Tulsa Emerg Ops
6. Tulsa Police
7. Tulsa Fire
8. Tulsa Airport