BCD996P2 lost in the deep....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems324

I’ve just bought a bcd996p2 scanner and I am so frustrated to the point I’m thinking of getting rid of it. I have tried every way possible to program the scanner(manually, through pro scan, through free scan) and still not getting any chatter with P25. I live in Suffolk county, NY and I’ve followed every step over and over again, still nothing. The SCPD and MEDCOM are supposed to be on P25. Both work on 800mhz I know that because I have a bct15. Please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong. All the YouTube videos show programming the bcd996p2 with conventional analog and 800mhz analog, manually. I don’t need conventional or 800mhz.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Down load the user manual for the scanner from Marks scanners website, down load the uniden scanner driver from the uniden website, down load a software package of your choice, i perfer proscan myself. Install the driver first, then open the software for the scanner and connect the scanner to the computer. Read the user manual while you play with the sioftware at the same time and learn how to operate the scanner as well, you will be better off in the long run. if you get frustrated walk away from the computer for a few hours and do some thing else for a while, when you calm down go back at it. There is a very steep learning curve to the newer scanners today and if you really want to get rid of it i will take it off your hands.

Ubbe

The P25 800MHz system in Suffolk seems to be simulcast and will be harder or almost impossible to monitor using a 996P2 scanner. Bay Shore are right between two sites and you'll need a directional antenna to only receive one of those sites.

/Ubbe

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
You may not be doing anything wrong with your programming of theBCD996P2.

I have a BCD996P2 set up as a base unit with an omnidirectional antenna. From where I live in relation to the simulcast sites, it's useless for picking up the P25 system. I pick up nothing.

I have a Uniden BCD325P2 handheld. Unless I'm close to one of the simulcast sites, it too is useless for picking up the P25 system (also, poor audio due small speaker).

I also have an Unication G5 pager and Uniden SDS200 which work much better. I don't like the audio on the SDS200, too much bass in the audio. The Unication has better audio but not the same features as a scanner. They both hear the system reliably well.

Blackink

For instructions on installing drivers for the Uniden USB programming Cable, see this link: Drivers
For information on updating the firmware, go to this link: Firmware

For clarification on the Firmware update, read this below:

The Uniden Web site instructions aren't too clear. The Web site says:

These are the installation Steps from the Uniden Web site:
Download
BC_VUP3 Firmware Updater for DMA Scanners, unzip the file, then run the installer to install this utility. Then, run the utility and follow the on-screen prompts to select the scanner model and firmware version to apply.

When I unzip that folder, I see a folder labeled BC_VUP_V3_03_00. Inside that folder is a setup.exe file and a Setup_BC_VUP.msi file.

The only reason I selected the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file is because it was the closest match to what the instructions say to select: Run the BC_VUP3 utility (not the .msi file).

It would have been nice if the instructions mentioned selecting the Setup_BC_VUP.msi file rather than to Run the BC_VUP3 utility.

I think it would be a bit clearer for people if it read: Installation Steps-
Download and unzip BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip. Find the extracted files and open the BC_VUP_V3_03_00 folder. Click on the BC_VUP3.msi file, select Install. Once the utility is installed, go to your Start Menu and select BC_VUP3 to run the utility and follow the on-screen instructions.

And once this utility is installed on your computer, it doesn’t need to be downloaded for future firmware updates. Some people don’t realize this software only needs to be downloaded once.

To upgrade/download any future firmware is done by running the BC_VUP3 software right from your computer and follow the instructions.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The SCPD and MEDCOM are supposed to be on P25.
They are but there not on all sites on the P25 system. It is noted in the database that the entities you are looking to scan are on the 800 Simulcast Cell (Site 004)

The P25 800MHz system in Suffolk seems to be simulcast and will be harder or almost impossible to monitor using a 996P2 scanner. Bay Shore are right between two sites and you'll need a directional antenna to only receive one of those sites.

I have a 436 with a Remtronix 800mhz antenna and it does pretty good on this system. Is the 996P2 that bad?

While he is in Bayshore, I am not sure what site map you looked at, but what he wants to receive is on site 4. This map shows some hope. 800 Simulcast Site Details (Suffolk County (Project 25)) He is closer to Hauppauge rather than in the middle of Hauppauge and Melville. He might get lucky.

bayshore.JPG

With Proscan or Freescan, I would download the system and only enable site 4 and try that.

Or, create a new system as P25, not Phase 2 or TDMA, and enter just theses 4 freqs. Set it for id search and see if you receive anything.

ems324

Down load the user manual for the scanner from Marks scanners website, down load the uniden scanner driver from the uniden website, down load a software package of your choice, i perfer proscan myself. Install the driver first, then open the software for the scanner and connect the scanner to the computer. Read the user manual while you play with the sioftware at the same time and learn how to operate the scanner as well, you will be better off in the long run. if you get frustrated walk away from the computer for a few hours and do some thing else for a while, when you calm down go back at it. There is a very steep learning curve to the newer scanners today and if you really want to get rid of it i will take it off your hands.
I have a bct15 that I learned a lot from, I also own and programmed a Motorola MTS2000 UHF-Hi and a Motorola XTS3000 UHF-Hi, both of which were very simply to program. I've also programmed and own a minitor III vhf-low and minitor IV vhf-high. I've also, prior to reading your message, already had a pro-scan account, read mark's easy to understand scanner manual and downloaded the drivers for my scanner. It's all been download and installed. I have walked away from programming the scanner, re-did everything and still nothing. My question is do am I supposed to add the 800mhz freq's along with the 700mhz freq's in order to listen to P25? I have heard "traffic" on FD Riverhead and on Suffolk DA P25. But I have heard nothing else on any other TGID's.

They are but there not on all sites on the P25 system. It is noted in the database that the entities you are looking to scan are on the 800 Simulcast Cell (Site 004)

I have a 436 with a Remtronix 800mhz antenna and it does pretty good on this system. Is the 996P2 that bad?

While he is in Bayshore, I am not sure what site map you looked at, but what he wants to receive is on site 4. This map shows some hope. 800 Simulcast Site Details (Suffolk County (Project 25)) He is closer to Hauppauge rather than in the middle of Hauppauge and Melville. He might get lucky.

View attachment 102569

With Proscan or Freescan, I would download the system and only enable site 4 and try that.

Or, create a new system as P25, not Phase 2 or TDMA, and enter just theses 4 freqs. Set it for id search and see if you receive anything.

View attachment 102569

o.k. I have both Proscan and freescan. I know that the P25 is simulcast, but the 996p2 only has P25 standard trunk or P25 one freq trunk. I'm not aware of these sites you mentioned, but I know I have the above 4 frequencies along with all the other 800 and 700 mhz freq that RR says to add to the scanner for P251618936059843.png

o.k. I have both Proscan and freescan. I know that the P25 is simulcast, but the 996p2 only has P25 standard trunk or P25 one freq trunk. I'm not aware of these sites you mentioned, but I know I have the above 4 frequencies along with all the other 800 and 700 mhz freq that RR says to add to the scanner for P251618936059843.png
I should also mention that I have the stock antenna that came with the scanner, but I have an 800, 700 mhz already shipped to me. But I am going to try out your recommendations as far as only entering the 4 freq.

I should also mention that I have the stock antenna that came with the scanner, but I have an 800, 700 mhz already shipped to me. But I am going to try out your recommendations as far as only entering the 4 freq.
I tried only putting the 4 freq you said I should try and now i'm getting "finding ctrlchannel", which isn't what I got when I had all the other frequencies loaded into the scanner.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
both my 996xt and 996p2 struggle to receive both site 4 and site 3. your best bet is to either get an sds 100/200 or unication receiver. The 996xt/p2 struggle when receiving simulcast signals. depending on what exactly you want to listen to pd wise you may be able to listen to it on site 6 (1st precinct site) but note site 6 only has talkgroups active if theres a radio affiliated to the site.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
My question is do am I supposed to add the 800mhz freq's along with the 700mhz freq's in order to listen to P25? I have heard "traffic" on FD Riverhead and on Suffolk DA P25. But I have heard nothing else on any other TGID's.
For Pd and medcom you want site 4. In your pic, site 4 is the first set of 800 freqs. If you heard Riverhead fd, that was coming off site 3 (700 freqs) as thats the only site broadcasting Riverhead fd at this time.

If you heard tg 1401 Suffolk DA, then that came off site 4, (800 freqs) the site you want.

o.k. I have both Proscan and freescan. I know that the P25 is simulcast, but the 996p2 only has P25 standard trunk or P25 one freq trunk. I'm not aware of these sites you mentioned, but I know I have the above 4 frequencies along with all the other 800 and 700 mhz freq that RR says to add to the scanner for P25
If doing manually, I believe P25 standard. But if you heard the DA then your pretty much where you want to be.

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
EMS324

The best way to see if your scanner is programmed correctly, is take it as close as you can to the antenna tower on the LIE north service road between exits 55 and 56, turn it on in ID Search mode and see what you get (using Site 4 800Mhz frequencies).

You don't have to be right at the base of the tower, several blocks away will do.

If you programmed it correctly, you will know right away by the amount and variety of TG's you'll start hearing.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you programmed it correctly, you will know right away by the amount and variety of TG's you'll start hearing.
He said he heard Riverhead fd, so he is receiving site 3. And he said he received the Da and that was active on site 4 today.

I just fired up site 6 and see some pd, fres and medcom on there. Only seeing 1st and 3rd pct on that site when 2nd, 7th and 6th are active on site 4.

Ubbe

Actually, on a 436, you do hear encryption. It does not decode the audio but you can hear when it is in use.
Only in search mode. All x36/SDS scanners skips over encrypted conversations in normal scan mode. But there is one odd DMR encryption that those scanners do not detect as being encrypted.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Only in search mode. All x36/SDS scanners skips over encrypted conversations in normal scan mode. But there is one odd DMR encryption that those scanners do not detect as being encrypted.

/Ubbe
What about in scan mode with a tg that only uses enc part time? Would you hear it in that situation?

ems324

He said he heard Riverhead fd, so he is receiving site 3. And he said he received the Da and that was active on site 4 today.

I just fired up site 6 and see some pd, fres and medcom on there. Only seeing 1st and 3rd pct on that site when 2nd, 7th and 6th are active on site 4.
I dont know where to find site 6, but the other day someone else on here told me to put in ONLY site 004 frequencies and all I got was "finding control channel". I have all the sites posted on RR for Suffolk County, which includes the 700 mhz. Should I set all the sites to ID Search and not ID scan?

ems324

For Pd and medcom you want site 4. In your pic, site 4 is the first set of 800 freqs. If you heard Riverhead fd, that was coming off site 3 (700 freqs) as thats the only site broadcasting Riverhead fd at this time.

If you heard tg 1401 Suffolk DA, then that came off site 4, (800 freqs) the site you want.

If doing manually, I believe P25 standard. But if you heard the DA then your pretty much where you want to be.
Should I keep the site freq separated or combine them together? This is the first time I'm trying to program a P25 scanner. I really don't know why there isn't more explanation about how to program these scanners or why Uniden needs to make it almost impossible to program. I know seasoned PD radio techs that won't touch these scanners because they've said that it's too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.