BCD996P2 or WS1098

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I am looking to get my next scanner. I have never been a fan of getting raped on the "latest and greatest" so I am down to a BCD996P2 or WS1098. I want to be ready for any P25 Phase 2 on MARCS as well as do a little sluething on Aultman Hospital (Stark County) DMR. I already have a licence for ARC XT software which will support the BCD996P2. Any advice from a local perspective on which way I should lean?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
From what I have read here the Whistler scanners don't do well on MARCS. I use Uniden scanners and the only problems I seem to have are inside my office building downtown due to simulcast issues.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
From what I have read here the Whistler scanners don't do well on MARCS. I use Uniden scanners and the only problems I seem to have are inside my office building downtown due to simulcast issues.

Well, presently, no simulcast sites in Stark County. But I will keep the Uniden over Whistler on MARCS advice in mind. Thanks.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have also been informed that the BCD996P2 requires a $75 fee to upgrade the firmware to do DMR whereas the WS1095/1098 is free. Where is Uniden coming from on that aspect?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The fee is $60 if you buy from Uniden. Scanner Retailers have been charging $75 if I understand. The scanner to buy depends on your location the system you want to listen to. I would talk to others here in the forums that listen to the system you want to monitor or one like it. It also depends on your computer skills as the Whistler Scanners some have driver issues and some do not. I update my Unidens in about 30 seconds or so. I update my Whistlers 2 to 5 minutes as it takes up to 60 seconds to see the scanner after you plug up the USB cable.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to get my next scanner. I have never been a fan of getting raped on the "latest and greatest" so I am down to a BCD996P2 or WS1098. I want to be ready for any P25 Phase 2 on MARCS as well as do a little sluething on Aultman Hospital (Stark County) DMR. I already have a licence for ARC XT software which will support the BCD996P2. Any advice from a local perspective on which way I should lean?

i have a pro 197 and a 996p2. the pro 197 is similar to the whistler, but an older model, still digital, p1 but not p2. the 197 has way better ears than the 996p2. it hears much further but it is not as pretty. it is my go to scanner when i want to hear something far off. the 996p2 just does not copy as well. my opinion based on my experience.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that the WS1098 has the complete radioreference.com database for the US and Canada loaded on its SD card. Just enter a ZIP code or city and you are instantly scanning. It also records scanned audio on the SD card for later listening. The BCD996P2 does not have these features.

mszabo2000

Well, presently, no simulcast sites in Stark County. But I will keep the Uniden over Whistler on MARCS advice in mind. Thanks.

The current Canton/Stark system is simulcast and uses P25 CAI. Only difference between the current system and MARCS IP is the control channel baud rate.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Also keep in mind that the WS1098 has the complete radioreference.com database for the US and Canada loaded on its SD card. Just enter a ZIP code or city and you are instantly scanning. It also records scanned audio on the SD card for later listening. The BCD996P2 does not have these features.
I will second that on the WS-1098 scanner its a great little thing to record audio direct to the SD card......

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
The current Canton/Stark system is simulcast and uses P25 CAI. Only difference between the current system and MARCS IP is the control channel baud rate.

Guess I never considered the fact that it is. I have been listening to it for years with both Uniden and GRE/Radio Shack scanners and never had an issue. I even host an online feed. However, I hear horror stories about MARCS-IP simulcast sites.

mszabo2000

Guess I never considered the fact that it is. I have been listening to it for years with both Uniden and GRE/Radio Shack scanners and never had an issue. I even host an online feed. However, I hear horror stories about MARCS-IP simulcast sites.

Some scanners can't handle the CQPSK Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM) used on P25 systems when located in an overlap area. Limiting the receive signal to one site either by reducing antenna gain or using a directional antenna pointed at one site seems to clear up the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.