BCD996p2 picking up one site but not the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
My BCD996p2 can not pick up the South site in the PG County System, however it can pick up the North site very well. Any reason why? At the best I can pick up a very distorted transmission on the South site very rarely. Am I simply too far away? I live right on the Montgomery County/PG County line.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
It looks like two different simulcast systems too... Between the north and south...

I'm seeing 12 sites on the North...
And 9 sites on the South...

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
And as was mentioned by Bud... All 12 North sites transmit at the same time on the same frequency...
All 9 South sites transmit at the same time at a different frequency...

villythekid... Don't know exactly where you are located in all of this either...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If I read the post correctly, I do not believe he is having an issue with simulcast distortion . He is having an issue receiving another site (different set of freqs ). He gets North but not South.

Not sure if he has done it or not but if he assigns a quick key to North and a quick key to South, and turns off North, he can not receive the South site.

I always assign a quick key to sites to be able to turn off sites that are not coming in that good based on my location.

both.JPG

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Reading the post again... It looks like he might be in the south area... Said he is picking up distorted activity on the south... That sounds like simulcast distortion to me...
He said he can receive the north just fine...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Lol its like is the glass half full or half empty. Could be in the South getting slammed by distortion and receiving North better because he is farther away or he lives in the North and is to far from the South to receive.

I do not know how accurate it is but the intended area of operation listed for both sites listed is 14 miles.

@villlythekid Can you post a better location where you are scanning from?

location.JPG

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Duh... Read his post again... " I live right on the Montgomery County/PG County line."

He is North/West of the North system... Probably to far from the South system...

County.jpg

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
Duh... Read his post again... " I live right on the Montgomery County/PG County line."

He is North/West of the North system... Probably to far from the South system...

View attachment 100359
Sorry about the late response. I pretty much right at the corner where Prince George's, Montgomery, and DC all meet. However, the people who live nearby me can pick both North and South up well. Right now, I have North and South on the same quick key, which I'm guessing is the issue. I will also read about the Simulcast distortion. I live a lot closer to the North but at one point I was picking South pretty well, (this was about 6-7 months ago) so I know it's possible.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
That could be due to Atmospheric condtions and/or being in a sweet spot...
I assigned North a quick key of 5 and South a quick key of 2. I noticed that if I turn off quick key 5 which is North, it says "Nothing to scan," even though quick key 2 is still on. However, when I turn off quick key 2, it still scans North. (5) Do I possibly have something messed up w/ the frequencies?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
NO I would look at the range settings on the south site. If you are far away from the gps location listed above, increase the overall range for receive. You are most likely farther than the 14 miles listed in the db.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Is your N and S in one Favorite list...
If it is that is fine...
You need to get your quick key setup fixed to turn on an off the N and S within that respective Fav List...

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If your getting nothing to scan and that site is in the system with a quick key set, your overall scan range needs to be increased.

In your scanner, are there settings for location? I have a 436 and tho its the same principle, I do not know my way around a 996

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
If your getting nothing to scan and that site is in the system with a quick key set, your overall scan range needs to be increased.

In your scanner, are there settings for location? I have a 436 and tho its the same principle, I do not know my way around a 996
I have the "Program Location" option, but I believe that is for GPS Receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.