BCD996P2 problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4RBT

I think my BCD996T is ready to fail. the lcd has active pixels where they are not needed. Also, seems to loose sensitivity. I do not need a scanner for Simulcast as most of the traffic is boring. I do not need a fancy display as I do not sit at the scanner and watch it. I built a speaker system to port audio to various rooms. Since I already have the Butel software for it , I am considering a BCD996P2. I want to be able to scan Amateur DMR repeaters as my portable and base only scans TGs. All else is VHF highband and a little UHF.
Question is, have they resolved any problems this radio may of had?

K4RBT

Before posting, I tried to sweep the Uniden forum but was overloaded by all of the other problems Uniden has. I believe in the KISS principle.
This is as close to this as it can be. I will already be able to do everything as it is basically an upgrade in the series. The software looks identical to the BCD996T. I had planned to add one of these when I move and also use the 996T, does not look like I will be doing this. I am kind of turned off by the $75 for the upgrade. It is a key to unlock firmware already in the scanner, but $75.00?
I will probably order from Scanner Master when the units become available. If it is like the rest of the electronics industry, parts are not available. I need a chipo for an amateur radio television transmitter, no can do and no idea when the part will be available. Amazing what trouble a microscopic virus can do.

K4RBT

I had looked at the classified after becoming a member but was not specifically looking for the P2. I will go and look.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am kind of turned off by the $75 for the upgrade. It is a key to unlock firmware already in the scanner, but $75.00?

Install the upgrade yourself for $60.

Uniden has to pay royalties and licensing fees for each scanner that is upgraded to Provoice, NXDN, or DMR. You can purchase and install the DMR upgrade yourself, just takes a couple of minutes. And doing it yourself directly from Uniden costs $60. Don't pay a dealer to install any upgrades.

K4RBT

Great, the last upgrade may cause problems with third party programming software. Maybe that is why BCD996XTs got for a premium price in
classifieds.
Question, why do the not remove the adds for equipment that is sold? See something of interest, slide over and a tiny yellow tag says "Sold".
Saw a couple of things I would have bought but they were already sold. Also, for Expired adds. Is it to show trends in pricing of items?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Great, the last upgrade may cause problems with third party programming software. Maybe that is why BCD996XTs got for a premium price in
classifieds.

The latest firmware update for the BCD996P2 states that it "corrects" problems with third party programs. The previous firmware update (1.08.00) caused some isolated problems with third party programming software, and Uniden corrected it in the latest firmware release (1.08.01) 3 days later.

K4RBT

Now, that only brings up the question, the BCD996P2 in classified, you do not now how high they go. Do the firmware updates have to be done in sequence or just the last one?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now, that only brings up the question, the BCD996P2 in classified, you do not now how high they go. Do the firmware updates have to be done in sequence or just the last one?

Just the latest is all you need to apply... and they are very easy and quick to apply.

K4RBT

I have upgraded firmware in my DMR portables, mostly to make them wide for amateur radio use. No big deal.
As soon as I get over all the garbage from the head on collision that destroyed my previous vehicle, I want to order one. Problem is, ScannerMaster says out of stock, and they have not posted anything about when they will have them. Even the Uniden Direct shows out of stock. Ham Radio Outlet, the same. Bearcat Warehouse says they have them in stock. How are they as a dealer?

Bearcat Warehouse says they have them in stock.
They have a habit of SAYING they are in stock and that it will ship "Next Month".

To me, that's not "In Stock". Nothing else against them, but I'd verify shipping date before you buy.

I wanted to buy a 996P2 from Scannermaster but they only had SDS 200's in stock, so I bought that instead.

K4RBT

Odd, Bearcat Warehouse does not directly say the are out, but the last update was in July and they are talking pre-order. Sounds like they do not have them, either.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am kind of turned off by the $75 for the upgrade. It is a key to unlock firmware already in the scanner, but $75.00?

No body wants to pay more for anything, but that includes people buying a new scanner. I'd rather have the option to buy a new scanner without all the possibly unneeded whistle & bells and save $180.00. This way Unden keeps the price down and more affordable for those that otherwise might not been able to afford it all decked out. Later if I decided I want/need Provoice, DMR or NXDN I can pay for those later.

Similar to buying a new vehicle. You might not need leather, a more powerful engine, better sound system, fancy paint job, heated seats & mirrors, ETC.

K4RBT

I have done a LOT of reading, the SDS200 is more than I need nor want to pay. I only use the scanner to monitor amateur radio repeaters, monitor fire for scene photography and listen to med helicopters. Med helicopters are going to satellite comms because of the mountains. Encryption has killed everything else in the valley, although, I think Roanoke County and Roanoke City might have switched back as per rumors. The city where I live went to the county system when they went PII and the fire chief encrypted the fire frequencies, so no fire or ems. The police had already planned on encrypt on their old system. Not missing much as the COVID-19 has killed the city.
Getting mighty quite in the Roanoke Valley.

wbswetnam

I am happy to vouch for the BCD996P2. I have two of them, in fact, for monitoring local emergency services They are sensitive, reliable receivers. There are a few small drawbacks, however: 1) DMR is a paid upgrade, and a bit tricky to apply as do-it-yourself, and 2) it does not include programming software (FreeScan is free, but not 'full-featured' programming software).

For monitoring my local VHF / UHF FM ham repeaters as well as the DMR network, I use a Whistler WS-1095. The scanner includes DMR as standard, no upgrade to pay for. Also it includes its own programming software (EZ Scan) which I prefer over Uniden's Sentinel programming software. So you may want to consider a used Whistler WS-1095 (no number keypad) or WS-1098 (just like the WS-1095 but has a number keypad).

Status
Not open for further replies.