BCD996P2 Programming the CT Land Mobile Radio Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkrawetz

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I am now all set thanks to tvenger's file. But I still can't figure out what is different between his and the RR data I downloaded. I'm sure it's something simple. Thanks to all who replied.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you have system quick key 0 and group quick key 0 turned on in the scanner? I see that the site hold time is set for 10 seconds. You are going to miss everything on other systems and sites. The normal hold time is 0. The scanner will still be on the site for about a second with the hold time set to 0. The scan delay is also set for 10 seconds. The normal time is 2 seconds. At the end of a transmission, you will not be able to hear anything else for 10 seconds. I also see encrypted talkgroups that are not locked out. Otherwise, I see nothing set up incorrectly in the system.

pkrawetz

Premium Subscriber
Did you have system quick key 0 and group quick key 0 turned on in the scanner? I see that the site hold time is set for 10 seconds. You are going to miss everything on other systems and sites. The normal hold time is 0. The scanner will still be on the site for about a second with the hold time set to 0. The scan delay is also set for 10 seconds. The normal time is 2 seconds. At the end of a transmission, you will not be able to hear anything else for 10 seconds. I also see encrypted talkgroups that are not locked out. Otherwise, I see nothing set up incorrectly in the system.
I found hold time and scan delay help with hearing more of the conversation if the current transmission has long delays between transmissions but I see your point.

Yes quick key and group key zero were on.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I am now all set thanks to tvenger's file. But I still can't figure out what is different between his and the RR data I downloaded. I'm sure it's something simple. Thanks to all who replied.
LOL my friend. You can ask @WoodburyMan , @trentbob @Cheeseburgers @doctordialtone and a few others on here that have helped me in the past. I have the exact same problem in my location. When I download CLMRN from the RR full database onto ANY scanner (BCD325P2, SDS100, etc) it will NOT work from home. It simply will not. A couple of weak random transmissions may come through but otherwise nothing.
At first I thought it was a simulcast issue but if I travel barely a half mile up the road from home it starts to work and there are ZERO issues with tracking the system. Plus the SDS100 would not exhibit the same issues if it was as simulcast problem.

@WoodburyMan made a custom list for me that FINALLY works from home on my SDS100 and SDS200 units. Same system, same TGIDs, same everything. He made a couple of tweaks that I know of, such as eliminating all but the CC and ACC from the Favorites List.

If you search up my past posts on this topic you can read through them.

I guess the RadioReference full database version of the system does not work from certain locations despite everything being programmed correctly. But my custom Favorite List does.

It's the weirdest thing I have seen ...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
LOL my friend. You can ask @WoodburyMan , @trentbob @Cheeseburgers @doctordialtone and a few others on here that have helped me in the past. I have the exact same problem in my location. When I download CLMRN from the RR full database onto ANY scanner (BCD325P2, SDS100, etc) it will NOT work from home. It simply will not. A couple of weak random transmissions may come through but otherwise nothing.
At first I thought it was a simulcast issue but if I travel barely a half mile up the road from home it starts to work and there are ZERO issues with tracking the system. Plus the SDS100 would not exhibit the same issues if it was as simulcast problem.

@WoodburyMan made a custom list for me that FINALLY works from home on my SDS100 and SDS200 units. Same system, same TGIDs, same everything. He made a couple of tweaks that I know of, such as eliminating all but the CC and ACC from the Favorites List.

If you search up my past posts on this topic you can read through them.

I guess the RadioReference full database version of the system does not work from certain locations despite everything being programmed correctly. But my custom Favorite List does.

It's the weirdest thing I have seen ...
Yep, Location, location, location. :)

WoodburyMan

Darkness, check to see if the list you got from "Woodburyman" has site NACs entered or not.
For my lists, I made a backup copy of the site, and rename it "Troop A All" or something and avoid it. Then on the original I take out all but the control channel from the list, and I set site NAC to Search instead of NACXXX. Sometimes it takes a second or two on a weak signal for the scanner to listen and get the Site NAC. Setting it to Search lets the scanner ignore that and just recieve audio once it gets TalkGroup info from the CC stream and switches frequencies to follow it. It's a little trick I picked up. It also works well on conventional P25 repeaters (such as our towns police, fire/ems and town works). And unless you're in range of another system using the same frequency, which is rare, there's no real reprocussions.

I keep several lists too. I maintain one list with all Sites setup like I stated above, then make copies of it, ex one for home that has all but Troop L, I and A sites avoided, since that's all I can pick up. It makes scanning faster. if you scan every frequency for every site in the CLMRN system, you have dozens of frequencies to scan. You pick off just the sites and CC's in range, you got that down to 2 or 3. Less chance youll miss the start of a transmission or a short transmission.

webdevbrian

@WoodburyMan Hello! I'm down on Church street. Just grabbed a BCD352P2 and having a hell of a time getting this sucker to even firmware update in my virtualbox VM. Very same issue as OP with getting the CLMRN up and running (I'm putting everything in manually ... !) Yesterday I was picking up some Troop A and Troop L stuff about bear cubs stuck in trees, and seemingly today I got nothing (yesterday was very active). Typical for us in this area? I saw a few of your other posts, you seem to be geared to the gills! I get some faint stuff from southbury but seemingly nothing on P25...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
@WoodburyMan Hello! I'm down on Church street. Just grabbed a BCD352P2 and having a hell of a time getting this sucker to even firmware update in my virtualbox VM. Very same issue as OP with getting the CLMRN up and running (I'm putting everything in manually ... !) Yesterday I was picking up some Troop A and Troop L stuff about bear cubs stuck in trees, and seemingly today I got nothing (yesterday was very active). Typical for us in this area? I saw a few of your other posts, you seem to be geared to the gills! I get some faint stuff from southbury but seemingly nothing on P25...

If you want to read about issues with CLMRN in the area search up some of my threads in the CT forum.

My BCD325P2 and SDS100 dont work from home if I use the full database from RR.
The custom list that WoodburyMan made for the SDS100 does work , however.
Go figure.
@WoodburyMan

webdevbrian

Hope I can get this message through as well -- I did see your other posts, thank you for taking the time with that as well. And thank you for referencing that. Just hope this one goes through as well.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Hope I can get this message through as well -- I did see your other posts, thank you for taking the time with that as well. And thank you for referencing that. Just hope this one goes through as well.

It did. Thanks.
Hope you can get yours working.

Status
Not open for further replies.