BCD996P2 takes forever to program

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to speed up the programming time between my computer, and my BCD996P2's? I use a standard USB adapter from my computer, to the front port of the scanner to program it. I have about 160 "systems" (several with only one channel) and it takes around 45 mins. to download the entire thing to the scanners. Consistent with all of my BCD996P2's.

Is there a faster way to program these? (Rear serial? Faster cable?)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not enough details to properly diagnose.
  • What software? ProScan? FreeScan? Butel?
  • What is the size of the database file?
  • What OS? Windows 10? 7?
  • Is the USB cable plugged directly into a USB port on the computer, or going through a hub?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Butel, not sure of the file, nothing huge, Win 7, USB directly connected to laptop

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you haven't already installed ProScan on that laptop, I would install it (30 day fully functional trial) and see how long it takes to download the scanner's programming.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are you just programming a few changes or the entire program each time? Are you also deleting everything before uploading the programming? All those steps take more time, often needlessly.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sounds like you are using ARC-XT or ARC-XT Pro. Use the USB port on the front of the scanner. Go to the Scanner tab and Communications Setup. Click on AutoDetect Scanner and OK. Then try again. You are correct that it takes a lot of time to upload large files. I don't believe that there is a faster method than above.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
That's what I've been doing. Had it for years, always been slow. Didn't know if there was a faster way.

Thanks all.

Is there any way to speed up the programming time between my computer, and my BCD996P2's? I use a standard USB adapter from my computer, to the front port of the scanner to program it. I have about 160 "systems" (several with only one channel) and it takes around 45 mins. to download the entire thing to the scanners. Consistent with all of my BCD996P2's.

Is there a faster way to program these? (Rear serial? Faster cable?)

I program my BCD996P2 using freescan, running on a virtual windows machine on my iMac thru the rear serial port using a usb to DB9 serial cable at top speed. Even erasing everything and reprogramming everything takes maybe 1-2 minutes total time. Sounds to me like either your software has an issue or your usb connection has an issue.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
ARC-XT Pro, even with different computers, different cables, it is still the same.

Would it help if I do a "Factory / master reset" of the scanner first? I usually change a lot of things whenever I refresh a codeplug.

(If so, what is the process of doing a master reset of the 996P2?)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When's the last time you did a full virus / malware scan? Viruses or similar can be lurking in the background and hogging your CPU. Check your task manager and see what is running. It's evident that something is hogging either the USB port or the CPU...Mike

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Have you tried different usb cables? I’ve had slow communications with cheap cables before. 45 minutes is way too slow, there is a problem somewhere.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'll check it when I get back to it (The one with the largest file) and report back. Much appreciated

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before you do a hard reset, dump the contents of your scanner so you can restore it later....Mike

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, the only Baudrate I can find is the "GPS Baudrate" and it is a whopping 4800. (Anything higher, and my Uniden GPS puck won't work)

Here is the rundown;

- Memory= 19%
- System (168) = 33%
- Site (180) = 18%
- Chan (5687) = 22%

Firmware is 1.08.1

And I have the codeplug saved, always do!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Ok, the only Baudrate I can find is the "GPS Baudrate" and it is a whopping 4800. (Anything higher, and my Uniden GPS puck won't work)

Here is the rundown;

- Memory= 19%
- System (168) = 33%
- Site (180) = 18%
- Chan (5687) = 22%

Firmware is 1.08.1

And I have the codeplug saved, always do!

I believe you should have the option for setting the front and rear ports separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.