BCD996p2 talkgroup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcory

We had a storm on Monday and lost power for a few days. I didn't notice it right away but yesterday I realized I was picking up an agency on the wrong tgid.

I live in Story County Iowa which this year went to a P25 system. Everything was working fine; then the storm. The county has a fire ops channel for the smaller towns in the county and Ames Fire has their own. Yesterday I was hearing Ames Fire and the scanner was showing the tgid for the county fire ops channel.

During the storm a fiber connection was lost and the towers were not communicating with one another. Radios were still working but radios could only communicate with others on the same tower. I thought possibly Ames Fire had to use the county tgid because of further issues. It didn't make sense but went with that thought for awhile. I finally wiped the programming on the scanner, downloaded everything fresh from the RR database that I had previously and loaded that to the scanner. Now I am picking up Ames PD on the county fire ops tgid.

I am using the latest version of Freescan if that makes any difference which I am sure it doesn't. Does anyone have any thoughts or had an issue like this before?

Thanks,
Matt

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that due to the problems they are having on the TRS the channels might be patched together and that's why you're hearing what you're hearing? I'm not familiar with your area since I don't live there but you had mentioned the tower problems and I'm thinking that the agencies may be having to change some things in order to communicate. I've never heard of an issue like this with a receiver and it would make sense that the public safety users might be patching channels together while they get things cleaned up and going again. I don't know but it's just an idea.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

mdcory

Patching could make sense but I couldn't really see why they would need to.

A little more info I have discovered.
I have two towers programmed in, Ames and Collins. I usually pickup the county traffic (Sheriffs Office, County Fire, LEA's, etc) from the Collins tower because I am much closer to that one. Normally I did not receive Ames PD or FD traffic from the Collins tower because they did not simulcast to that tower. No need to as it is on the other side of the county. So, I am wondering if after the storm and losing tower comms if they decided to simulcast Ames to the Collins tower and in the software the TGID is messed up. Hopefully I will see someone from the fire department here in town and see if they are actually receiving Ames on their radios.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
would this work to see if a patch next time lock out that tg of course be in tg id search mode and see if traffic is on another tg?if that makes any sense i have done that on our p 25 system just to check on patched tg.
Patching could make sense but I couldn't really see why they would need to.

A little more info I have discovered.
I have two towers programmed in, Ames and Collins. I usually pickup the county traffic (Sheriffs Office, County Fire, LEA's, etc) from the Collins tower because I am much closer to that one. Normally I did not receive Ames PD or FD traffic from the Collins tower because they did not simulcast to that tower. No need to as it is on the other side of the county. So, I am wondering if after the storm and losing tower comms if they decided to simulcast Ames to the archCollins tower and in the software the TGID is messed up. Hopefully I will see someone from the fire department here in town and see if they are actually receiving Ames on their radios.

mdcory

I heard some traffic from Ames dispatch replying to an officer when he asked about using the info channel. They said dispatch may or may not hear them. So, I am assuming radio issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.