BCD996P2 vs BCD536HP for NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin82

I am looking to purchase either a 996p2 or 536hp and would like to know which one is the most sensitive and better for NXDN. I am not worried about the LCN finder features as I already have an SDS200. I read somewhere on here that 996p2 is hot on NXDN but would like confirmation.

Thanks

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I am looking to purchase either a 996p2 or 536hp and would like to know which one is the most sensitive and better for NXDN. I am not worried about the LCN finder features as I already have an SDS200. I read somewhere on here that 996p2 is hot on NXDN but would like confirmation.

Thanks

The 996P2 works great on NXDN and is $100 less. In my opinion, the 536HP offers nothing worth that extra cost

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Unless you count the LCN finder because if you have a 996p2 and I have 9 and a new NXDN TRUNKING SYSTEM gets put online and the LCN's are unknown the the 996P2 is useless as far as the NXDN TRUNKING goes the 536 can and will find the LCN's.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unless you count the LCN finder because if you have a 996p2 and I have 9 and a new NXDN TRUNKING SYSTEM gets put online and the LCN's are unknown the the 996P2 is useless as far as the NXDN TRUNKING goes the 536 can and will find the LCN's.
Exactly. Both the OP as well as Volfirefighter indicate they have an SDS series scanner, so in their case, LCN finder is a non-issue.

But like you, when asked which model to get, for someone trying to find new NXDN or DMR systems not yet in the database, I always recommend either one of the x36HP scanners, or SDS (if simulcast on other systems may be an issue), simply because the P2 series scanners do not have LCN finder capability.

ScubaJungle

Just a heads up - if you are used to the SDS and like the programming/method of favorites lists ,etc, I HIGHLY suggest the 536HP.
I am pretty sure that the BCD996 does not have the function to select which lists you can scan, which is a complete deal breaker for me (if I am confusing this with another model, disregard this and clarify - but im pretty sure).
I have like 50 favorite lists on my scanner, and quick keys just won't cut it. I never realized how much I appreciate the way the x36HP/SDS series are set up in respect to choosing what you can scan so easily until I tried using a 396.
I also find Sentinel/Proscan to be set up much better than Freescan or the other ones. The older programming software is really cluttered, it takes forever to upload to the scanner, etc. Sentinel/Proscan are not perfect, and there are some features I really wish would be added to have more control, but overall I don't even see a comparison.
For the reason of no favorite lists and being able to select what you want to scan alone, I recommend the 536.
Now, if you are used to using the quick key method, and don't have more than a dozen or so favorite lists on your SDS, then maybe it is worth saving the $100. Just remember though, that they regularly go for $350 on Amazon. That is what I paid for my 436, and it is regularly offered, you just have to wait for it to pop up.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I also find Sentinel/Proscan to be set up much better than Freescan or the other ones. The older programming software is really cluttered, it takes forever to upload to the scanner, etc. Sentinel/Proscan are not perfect, and there are some features I really wish would be added to have more control, but overall I don't even see a comparison.

Not sure which "older programming software" you are thinking of, but Proscan does a great job programming the BCD996P2.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just a heads up - if you are used to the SDS and like the programming/method of favorites lists ,etc, I HIGHLY suggest the 536HP.
I am pretty sure that the BCD996 does not have the function to select which lists you can scan, which is a complete deal breaker for me (if I am confusing this with another model, disregard this and clarify - but im pretty sure).
I have like 50 favorite lists on my scanner, and quick keys just won't cut it. I never realized how much I appreciate the way the x36HP/SDS series are set up in respect to choosing what you can scan so easily until I tried using a 396.
For the reason of no favorite lists and being able to select what you want to scan alone, I recommend the 536.
Now, if you are used to using the quick key method, and don't have more than a dozen or so favorite lists on your SDS, then maybe it is worth saving the $100. Just remember though, that they regularly go for $350 on Amazon. That is what I paid for my 436, and it is regularly offered, you just have to wait for it to pop up.

You only have a single programming file available. Unlike the 436HP, 536HP, and SDS series scanners, there is not another file or list that you can add or switch to.

The P2 series scanners (325P2 & 996P2) are Tier 2 DMA scanners. For Conventional systems, you can assign a Quick Key to each system. Rather than the "Departments" used in the Tier 3 DMA scanners (x36HP & SDS series), your talkgroups go into Groups. You can assign Group Quick keys, but using them is not as simple as it is with the Tier 2 scanners.

For the P2 series, to toggle a Group quick key on or off, you must either either scanning or holding on the system where you want to turn a GFroup key on or off. To do that, once you are in that system, press the Function key, then the QK number for the Group you want to change. For Trunked systems, you do not have a 'System Quick Key' like you do in the x36HP & SDS series scanners. Instead of Departments, your talkgroups go into Groups. Use the same method as for Conventional systems to turn the QK on or off. Instead of a System Quick Key, Quick Keys (on trunked systems) are assigned at the Site level. While you can flip a Site on or off, the only way to turn the System off (from scanning) is to turn off each Site's quick key. If turned off (not enabled), to turn the system back on, you must turn at least one of the Site QKs on as well as having at least one Group also enabled. See this thread, especially the more recent posts, for more discussion of this same issue.

ScubaJungle

Not sure which "older programming software" you are thinking of, but Proscan does a great job programming the BCD996P2.
Not really sure what you mean? I said I think Sentinel/Proscan are better programs than older programs like Freescan and the legacy Uniden software (not sure if that applies to the 996 though)
You only have a single programming file available. Unlike the 436HP, 536HP, and SDS series scanners, there is not another file or list that you can add or switch to.

The P2 series scanners (325P2 & 996P2) are Tier 2 DMA scanners. For Conventional systems, you can assign a Quick Key to each system. Rather than the "Departments" used in the Tier 3 DMA scanners (x36HP & SDS series), your talkgroups go into Groups. You can assign Group Quick keys, but using them is not as simple as it is with the Tier 2 scanners.

For the P2 series, to toggle a Group quick key on or off, you must either either scanning or holding on the system where you want to turn a GFroup key on or off. To do that, once you are in that system, press the Function key, then the QK number for the Group you want to change. For Trunked systems, you do not have a 'System Quick Key' like you do in the x36HP & SDS series scanners. Instead of Departments, your talkgroups go into Groups. Use the same method as for Conventional systems to turn the QK on or off. Instead of a System Quick Key, Quick Keys (on trunked systems) are assigned at the Site level. While you can flip a Site on or off, the only way to turn the System off (from scanning) is to turn off each Site's quick key. If turned off (not enabled), to turn the system back on, you must turn at least one of the Site QKs on as well as having at least one Group also enabled. See this thread, especially the more recent posts, for more discussion of this same issue.

This is a good explanation - the single file vs multiple FL files is what really makes the difference IMO.
If the op is used to using the tier 2 programming style, then that may be a good choice, but I can't see how someone can go from an SDS/x36 to a tier 2 programming style and not miss the tier 3 style. I guess it depends on how many favorites list you utilize though - if you only have 5 systems in the scanner then this really wouldn't matter much. Also, whether or not you use QKs - as someone who started with a 436, I almost never use quick keys and instead rely on favorites lists, but these are all good points to weigh in your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.