BCD996P2 vs BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
For a trunked system, there are two steps to designating a talkgroup as a Priority channel.
First, tag the TGID as Priority when editing the Department it is in.
Second, in the Favorites list editor, go to the System line.
Turn on trunking priority for the system there. That's under the Options tab.
View attachment 88344

You're getting the "Priority scan. No channel" warning because you do not have any conventional channels set as priority.
Thank you hiegtx, I will give it a shot when I am home and can access sentinal software.

Ubbe

You appear to be confused by the fact that LSM systems use "site" to mean "set of towers", not "one physical location with one tower". Yes, each "site" has it's own set of frequencies, but they are all transmitted from multiple antennas. Simulcast.
Correct, I am confused. To me a site is one specific location, Several towers spread over a large area are an area. I've worked with professional radio sites for over 30 years and have never heard anyone define a large area as a site. This is new to me but might be simulcast specific wordings and are then only used in US.

/Ubbe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you hiegtx, I will give it a shot when I am home and can access sentinal software.
You can do this directly on the scanner, if you like.
Press Menu
On the Menu screen, scroll down & select Manage Favorites
Scroll to the list that has the system in question & press Enter to select it
On the next screen, select Review/Edit System
Now, scroll down to the trunked system in question & select it.
On the next screen, select Edit Sys Option
On the Options page, you'll find the Priority ID Scan

You can enable, or disable, trunking priority there.

Just remember that if you make the change on the scanner, to either read the scanner back into Sentinel so that the list in Sentinel has that set as well, or match the same edit in Sentinel in the Favorites list editor. Otherwise, if you only change it on the scanner, without matching or capturing the same change in Sentinel, your selection will be overwritten the next time you do a "write to scanner".

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Correct, I am confused. To me a site is one specific location, Several towers spread over a large area are an area. I've worked with professional radio sites for over 30 years and have never heard anyone define a large area as a site. This is new to me but might be simulcast specific wordings and are then only used in US.

I didn't say it makes sense. :)

But yes, a simulcast site is a SET of towers, all of which are transmitting using the same frequencies at the same time, which is why a scanner (or pager or subscriber radio) that was specifically designed to handle LSM is needed if you want to be able to listen reliably.

The constant debate is because some folks "win the LSM lottery" and are in a location where distance and/or terrain blocks all or most traffic from all but one tower, so other scanners will work "OK".

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I want to thank everyone for their opinions. With the HP model are you able to use the Sentinel software to delete or permenetly avoid certain frequencies? Also can you set quick keys using the Sentinel software. You all have been very helpful

The SDS200 uses the same version of Sentinel that the BCD536HP uses, so you can program it the same way or just use "zip code" if you prefer.

But the actual hardware is vastly different. I will say it again ... you *may* get lucky and get decent reception using a BCD536HP. Odds are, you won't.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

/Ubbe
Ubbe,
What's confusing you somewhat confuses me as well. But I think that this is because what you see in the database, when you go to the Site's page to view locations, is based on the licenses. One of the Wayne site frequencies, 851.2125, is on license WPFQ223, but is on all five of the locations you see on the license map. It appears that the same locations are licensed for the East Simulcast's frequencies.

The East Central Simulcast site shows six different licenses, including one that is the only call sign listed for the Wayne site. The first frequency shown for East Simulcast, is on every site linked to the license shown for Wayne, It's map is likewise misleading.
East is described as an eleven site simulcast, but the map shows 19 locations.

It's map is misleading to say the least.

West Simul might be reasonably straight forward. It's 700MHz, so it's not sharing licenses like the first two. It's map is more realistic.

West Chester Simulcast also appears reasonably accurate and it's map shows the three site simulcast.

Trying to unwind the first two sites would require reviewing each site for what is where. more time than I'm willing to commit. While the Wayne site's frequencies are listed at multiple locations, which also shows East's frequencies, it would be difficult to sort out.

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for their opinions, I have decided to go with the BCD536HP after looking at the reviews, opinions and price range.
Hopefully I can master the Sentinel software and the scanner

Bob1955

OK, here's my 2 cents...

First off right now I am using the 436HP and it is working great picking up everything I want in Philadelphia!!!

I also had both old XT models and the newer HP (Home Patrol) models and both have pros and cons. The HP's are good (and easier) for someone who is just starting out because all you have to do is put in your zip code and choose which service types you want to monitor and you are scanning. They also come with the complete database and software if you want to use it instead of the zip code method. They are also great for using the GPS function if you are using it as a mobile nd travelling through multiple zip codes. Downside is that it will monitor all talkgroups withing your zip code and within your choosen servide types.

The older XT & newer P2 models are better for me as I would like to limit what I am monitoring as I like to pick and choose exactly which freqs & talkgroups I monitor. Downside to this is having to subscribe to RR for the database but well worth it in my opinion!

If I had to choose again I would definately choose a P2 model over the HP model ... The deciding factor for me is the way that the newer HP models use favorite lists and they are broken down into Systems, Departments & Channels which I don't like! The P2 models use the old style like the old XT's where there are only Systems and Groups making it a lot easier to enable and disable what I want to listen to.

I am also having problems trying to set up a certain talkgroup as a priority channel. I select a specific talkgroup and set it as a priority then go back and enable priority scan and the first time it tries to scan it gives me an error saying "Priority scan. No channel" But I think that is a subject for a later post...
Bearcat BCD-996P2 to the RESCUE!!! lmao

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
When you use the zip code method you can limit up to a certain degree of what you monitor by also picking what "Service Types" you have checked off in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.