BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 Workaround To Program DMR With FreeSCAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

FreeSCAN does not support programming DMR, BUT, lemme axe everyone this question. What if you take a DMR trunked system and put it into FreeSCAN as a different system type, say EDACS or LTR, program in all the frequencies and talk groups, alpha tags, the whole 9 yards, etc. And then after it's programmed into the scanner, just go into the scanner settings on the scanner menu and change the system type to DMR. This could be a workaround to having to pay for other software to (mostly) program DMR for free. Will this work?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well the obvious answer here is - why not try it? As long as you have the P2 firmware in the scanner, in theory, it might work. I would check around to see if there are additional parameters that must be set, but if there aren't any, it's worth trying

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for sure on the 996P2, since I do not own one. However, on it's handheld sibling, the 325P2, you do not have the option of changing system type via the scanner's menu and keypad.

I believe something similar was asked back when the old 396T was first introduced. Users set up a system as the wrong type, say Motorola vs. EDACS, and wanted to simply change it in the scanner. That could nopt be done, the only option being to delete the system and start over.

marksmith

You cannot change system type on an existing system in the radio.

I don't know what Freescan let's you fo.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You cannot change system type on an existing system in the radio.

I don't know what Freescan let's you fo.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
FreeSCAN will let you change system types, with a warning that your already entered data may be affected. However, as FreeSCAN does not support DMR, that option is not available for the OP.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for sure on the 996P2, since I do not own one. However, on it's handheld sibling, the 325P2, you do not have the option of changing system type via the scanner's menu and keypad.

I believe something similar was asked back when the old 396T was first introduced. Users set up a system as the wrong type, say Motorola vs. EDACS, and wanted to simply change it in the scanner. That could nopt be done, the only option being to delete the system and start over.

I own a 996p2 (and the 325), and no. you cannot change system type once it's programmed without using software.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I highly recommend Pro-scan.. 30 day free full working version trial, and well worth the $50 should you decide to purchase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.