BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

I understand the state is upgrading the tower sites up in NE Oklahoma . Would the bcd996p2 do the job of receiving the signals from the Miami tower ? . I don't want to buy the unit if it's not going to work .

S

simpilo

I don't live in that part of Oklahoma but as far as I've read that area switched to P25 Phase II and that is a APCO P25 Phase I & Phase II scanner so yes it should.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Just ran through there last week with my 996P2, heard Troop L, Miami PD and Owatta County no problem. That was all I had programmed to hear.

KOK5CY

If they've already switched over then explain how in the world I'm still receiving them ? . My bct15x isn't supposed to be able to receive the apco p25 phase 1or 2 . It's a mystery to me

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Miami hasn't but Jay just did in the last few weeks. It won't be long for Miami and Vinita.

KOK5CY

A quick question will the BCD-996T work for the updated radio system in NE part of my area ( Miami , Vinita and ect ) ?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
According to the scanner link in the DB, no. I switched to all 996P2's when this started, plus I travel a bit and it keeps me covered on out of state systems.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
So I a model that'll cover phase 2 ?

I personally use the BCD436HP and BCD536HP which covers almost everything pretty much that most people use today.

I would recommend the SDS100 and or 200 depending on if you want to be mobile or not. Yes these are more expensive but the decoding of TDMA and simulcast systems have improved a lot. I have not personally used those two but I have a few friends who do and so far they said its worth every penny...unless you want to start talking encryption LMAO

EDIT: There are also much cheaper ways by using Software Defined Radio on a computer if your listen mostly at home.

So I a model that'll cover phase 2 ?
I use a Uniden 325p2.

• The BCD325P2 comes equipped with Uniden exclusive features like Advanced Dynamic Memory System, Close Call RF Capture Technology, and GPS compatibility. It also includes support for the latest APCO Project 25 Phase II systems.

It's handheld, reasonably priced and works great!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
A current-tech P25 site will step back from TDMA to non-TDMA on a talkgroup if any of the "subscriber units" affiliated to it are incapable of the current P25 standard (i.e. TDMA). I don't believe they can be configured to drop further back to analog since an analog radio wouldn't work on a P25 system of any vintage (don't be confused by Motorola Type II systems that have a few TGs with P25 audio ... like most of the legacy OKWIN sites!).

So if there is an old radio on a talkgroup, your non-TDMA scanner will hear it fine.

Just buy a P2 and you'll be fine (and, as a bonus, can buy the capability of DMR and NXDN as well).

peterjmag

I might also add it's possible that some of the agencies you monitored before could possibly add some encryption on their car to car and tactical channels. Several in the Tulsa area did that when they went P25. Just hope if they do they don't do the main dispatch channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.