BCD996T and scanning APCO-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowbou1

Man am I ever confused! Does anyone have any idea how to program the new APCO-25 trunking frequencies into the 996T? Entering the frequencies themselves just seems to be part of the solution. What about spacing, etc?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What 'new' frequencies, Shadow? No offsets should be needed for a true P25 system, as that's usually sent on the control channel. If it's a mixed system (both analog and digital talkgroups), then yes, offsets would be needed.

What system are you trying to hear?

73 Mike

jackj

You almost need a computer and software to program the 996T. I suppose it is possible to do it from the front panel but I never have been able to. I use a free program called FreeScan, google for it. Then you can import the data directly from the site here into FreeScan and download the programing to your scanner. Makes life so much easier!

DJ88

You need to let us know what system you're trying to program.. There are two types of P25 systems - P25 Standard and Motorola Type 2 that uses P25 digital voice. You program them differently into the 996T. And, BTW, APCO is now called P25, just so you know what I'm talking about here.

shadowbou1

I am trying to program Pensacoala Naval Air Station. Old trunking system was a Type II VHF, P25 system which has now been replaced with APCO 25 Phase I (FDMA). Primary Control channel is 385.3125 Mhz and Alternate control channel is 386.0125 Mhz. I have DEC and HEX for 13 talkgroups but cannot figure out how to enter them into the BCD996T. I have set up the two freqs. as one would normally do but just don't seem to be getting the results I expected. Interestingly enough, if I "search" the band of 386.000 Mhz to 390.000 Mhz in the conventional , I can detect some communications from the NAS. together with a subscript of P25, DAT, LNK, etc. By the way, the System ID is 14C and the WACN is BEE00 which results in a system call sign of 0UX HL.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're probably better off asking this in the Florida forum or in one of the Yahoo groups to get more information on the new system, however - as mentioned earlier, if this is a true P25 system, no offsets are needed. Ignore the hex values as you can't use them in a 996T.

I would not doubt that someone in this Yahoo group is already digging into this......

FloridaMilcom : Florida Military Radio Communications

Are you getting a good strong signal? If it keeps flipping between P25 and LNK that might be an issue.

73 Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.