BCD996T - BCT15 GPS emulator software for stationary users

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

While looking for some sort of GPS emulator I found this:

http://users.hol.gr/~dzach/gpsfeed/

It has a lot of features beyond the GPS simulation. I have not had time to make it work yet as I need to get a null modem cable to fake the BCD996T in to thinking it has a GPS connected to it. I also use psuedo serial (USB to serial conversion) ports and I am not sure it will support com 5+.

I was looking for a good tool to test my programming out without leaving the house.

If you learn that this works well or you know of a better FREE resource let me know.

What would be real cool would be to find a map oriented program that would allow waypoints to be entered and some sort of tracking could occur.

I visualize 2 serial cables connected to the radio from my computer. 1 for ARC996 and the other for a simulator. You get the idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DanHenry

Garmin in "simulator mode" sends data.

Scott,

Many Garmin GPS units have what's called "simulator mode." In simulator mode you can essentially "fly" the aircraft around and change heading and speed. It's meant to be a teaching tool but also still streams real GPS data out the serial port that matches the moving position.

I use the sim mode to demo moving map software to my students.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but it sure is handy!

-Dan (AF navigator)

EDIT: This works with both my Garmin GPS76 and older Garmin III+.

Last edited:

DanHenry

We use the blue cased eTrex Legend in our survival vests and have hundreds of them. It's a good sturdy, small unit. When deployed they're loaded with Garmin Mapsource chart data.

I've used it for real-time moving map but don't remember if it has a sim mode.

-Dan

pinellasfirefighter said:
now if i could figure out how to work it..

Was a little bit of a pain but I got it working this morning.

Make sure the far left button is on (Config)
In the configuration window

On Connection Only enable Serial
Serial / IP make sure the port settings are correct

Simulation Set your Lon and LAT these need to be in Decimal format so convert them!
Set range to be real small I use .005 or it will hjust keep cycling your locations.
NMEA Select GPGGA, GPRMC and GPGSV

Then select the 1st button in the main window (play)

STiMULi said:
Meaning the radio believes is has a GPS connected to it?

Yes worked real nice. Now I don't have to lock / unlock systems from home to work. Since a few can be heard by both locations Startup keys were not the best answer. This does the trick.

STiMULi said:
If so try the spiral out near a system border and watch it lockout and unlock systems :)

Oh it was doing that when I had the radius too large! ugh... Unlock / lock... every couple of seconds

STiMULi

Too cool!

I was hoping it would work!

Are you using COM 5+?

This would have been a good thing for UNIDEN to come up with...

More cables to buy :)

STiMULi said:
Are you using COM 5+?

???
COM1 port

NULL modem cable supplied by my work :). If they did not have one laying around I would of fashioned my own out of some old RS-232 cables laying around the house. I remember doing that long ago in my serial com programming days.

Should be able to get a cable for < 5 bucks

STiMULi

My PC does not have "legacy" serial ports so I must use USB to serial converters.

I know that the configuration allowed me to enter COM5 in the ComPort field but I am not sure if the software is evolved enough to handle it.

STiMULi said:
My PC does not have "legacy" serial ports so I must use USB to serial converters.

I know that the configuration allowed me to enter COM5 in the ComPort field but I am not sure if the software is evolved enough to handle it.

Changed my port to COM5 and she works fine.

STiMULi

I have never done 293 MPH before in my living room but now I can no longer say that. I found the the GPSFEED+ uses about 11.5 K on my machine and it works like a champ.

I am using it on COM6 with a USB to serial converter.

It is interesting to watch it go from ground level to over 6000 feet and also watch the Direction of travel change as well.

Thanks newbie for taking the time to test it :)

STiMULi said:
I have never done 293 MPH before in my living room but now I can no longer say that. I found the the GPSFEED+ uses about 11.5 K on my machine and it works like a champ.

I am using it on COM6 with a USB to serial converter.

It is interesting to watch it go from ground level to over 6000 feet and also watch the Direction of travel change as well.

Thanks newbie for taking the time to test it :)

You are welcome. Thanks for finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.