BCD996T Display Help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
On one of my 996 T radio's, the display quit showing the frequency number.
Everything else is shown as usual.
If you "Hold " a channel it will show the freq,until you go back to scan.
The radio also works normally.
I'v checked all my settings and can't find a problem.
Is there something I did,or is the display failing.
Thanks
Tom

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Well,
Now I just programmed two more radios with free scan and there working fine.
However my original no freq. numbers moved to them as well.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Tom

n4yek

Well,
Now I just programmed two more radios with free scan and there working fine.
However my original no freq. numbers moved to them as well.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Tom

If your other scanners are now having the same problem now, it won't be the scanners. Something Freescan is doing is causing you to have this problem.
In the 'Set Scanner Option' of Freescan is most likely where you will have to look to find your solution.
Try messing around with the 'LCD' section in the options area and see if the Mode 2 is selected or not.

I hate trying to find problems when I have them, I know you are frustrated too. :)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't work for me.
When I try that it seems to add talk group numbers?
The other suggestion works but don't change the screen.
Thanks for your input.
Tom

edit: SORRY - The below info is only for the XT model and not the T model.

After you changed the display mode to 2 or 3, did you resume scanning after making the change?

Display mode 1 should show the frequencies,
Display mode 2 should show the talkgroup number
Display mode 3 should show a system channel bar (or whatever that is called). I'm not sure what display mode 3 is showing me. Mine just shows a line full of tiny dashes all the way across and above the third dash from the left it has a larger vertical block bar. Maybe this is the control channel?

Last edited:

TGP

Premium Subscriber
If your other scanners are now having the same problem now, it won't be the scanners. Something Freescan is doing is causing you to have this problem.
In the 'Set Scanner Option' of Freescan is most likely where you will have to look to find your solution.
Try messing around with the 'LCD' section in the options area and see if the Mode 2 is selected or not.

I hate trying to find problems when I have them, I know you are frustrated too. :)

Agreed, that I (we) think it is free scan related,not the scanner.
I will check the options area. Sounds promising!
Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

TGP

Premium Subscriber
After you changed the display mode to 2 or 3, did you resume scanning after making the change?

Display mode 1 should show the frequencies,
Display mode 2 should show the talkgroup number
Display mode 3 should show a system channel bar (or whatever that is called). I'm not sure what display mode 3 is showing me. Mine just shows a line full of tiny dashes all the way across and above the third dash from the left it has a larger vertical block bar. Maybe this is the control channel?

I'm dealing with a BCD 996T as stated in the OP.
The link he provided was for a 996XT,which don't work for 996T.
The other post with a link to 996T works, but don't correct my problem.
Tom

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm dealing with a BCD 996T as stated in the OP.
The link he provided was for a 996XT,which don't work for 996T.
The other post with a link to 996T works, but don't correct my problem.
Tom

Yep, I just noticed that, sorry.
I checked my 996T and it displays the frequency in BOTH display modes.
One mode displays the freq and talkgroup number while the other display mode shows the freq and info like P25, DAT etc.

I'm installing freescan now on the machine my 996T is attached to and will see if I can find anything.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Look under the General tab under the Scanner/Setup Scanner Options menu.
I see the display mode choices there in a LCD control box lower right corner of the setup window. Mine was set to 2 on a new install of freescan and 2 says it shows the frequency so that should be the correct setting.
If you used freescan to download your 996T and the display mode was at 1, that may override the setting in the General tab I think so make sure you change it back to a 2 before you write the 996 again.
There is also a checkbox in the same LCD box as the display modes called: "Enable Active Channel Display Mode".
I think that needs to remain unchecked if I'm reading the baloon tip correctly. Mine is unchecked. I think this one is going to be the cause of your issue.

Last edited:

TGP

Premium Subscriber
Look under the General tab under the Scanner/Setup Scanner Options menu.
I see the display mode choices there in a LCD control box lower right corner of the setup window. Mine was set to 2 on a new install of freescan and 2 says it shows the frequency so that should be the correct setting.
If you used freescan to download your 996T and the display mode was at 1, that may override the setting in the General tab I think so make sure you change it back to a 2 before you write the 996 again.
There is also a checkbox in the same LCD box as the display modes called: "Enable Active Channel Display Mode".
I think that needs to remain unchecked if I'm reading the baloon tip correctly. Mine is unchecked. I think this one is going to be the cause of your issue.

Kruser,
Thank You So Much!!!
Your research provided my Fix!

"There is also a checkbox in the same LCD box as the display modes called: "Enable Active Channel Display Mode".
I think that needs to remain unchecked if I'm reading the balloon tip correctly. Mine is unchecked. I think this one is going to be the cause of your issue."

That was the problem,All good now!

I'm new to Free Scan and still learning it.
I'm pretty much self taught on these units,Reading is the Key!LOL.
In the past I would manually load the scanner then use the "clone" feature for the rest of them.
Been trying to clean them up and make them more user friendly ie separate tg key's etc. and thought I would try this software.
Have also used UASD in the past with limited results.
Now it's time for a free scan donation!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your's!!!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.