bcd996t manual programing trunked system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bracken

Just got a new BCD996t and during a Motorola system manual program I called for the system to be Mot I, when it needed to be MOT type II. I have already logged the system TGID and frequencies and just need to know if I can change the system to type II without starting the system info over and if so what the process would be.

Thanks for the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just got a new BCD996t and during a Motorola system manual program I called for the system to be Mot I, when it needed to be MOT type II. I have already logged the system TGID and frequencies and just need to know if I can change the system to type II without starting the system info over and if so what the process would be.

Thanks for the help.
I don't believe this can be done, directly, in the scanner.

However, it can be done, if you are using software & a pc to program the scanner. In the ARC996 software, just open up the system file, and edit it via the system type drop-down to reflect Mot Type II instead of Type I. Not sure if it can be done, directly with FreeScan or BCTool. Haven't used either enough to say as yet.

If you are using Uniden's software, it cannot be done, per se, within the software, but all you have to do is simply edit the system's *.usd file on the pc with a text editor, such as Notepad. If you are not using any software, Uniden's UASD is a free download for the BCD996T. Download & install the software. Connect the scanner to the pc using the cable. Start the software, with the scanner on. The software will read the system files currently in the scanner. Under the "Scanner View" option, is a selection to "Save to database", which will save all the system files in the scanner, as they are at that time, to your computer. That would give you a file to work with. [Disregard this part if you already had the software & the system file in question was on the pc now. Downloading from the scanner under those conditions would overwrite whatever was on your computer.]

Take this system: Dallas City Local Gov't TRS. This is a Type IIi hybid system, meaning it has both Type I & Type II talkgroups. To listen to the Type I groups, the system must be programmed as Type I, not a Type II. As all of the groups that interested me have now switched to Type II TGID's, I've edited my files to Type II systems quite some time ago.

In BCD996T_UASD, the first line of the system's *.usd file determines whether the scanner treats it as Type I, Type II, EDACS, LTR, whatever.

Here's the essential part of the first line: SystemCT,M82S,"Dallas LG"
The M82S is what tells the scanner it's a Type II system.
Had this read SystemCT,M81S,"Dallas LG" , then the scanner would treat it as a Type I.
Change the M82S to EDW, and the scanner tries to treat it as an EDACS Wide (or Standard) system.

As always, save your file before editing, in case of a power failure or other pc glitch while you're making changes. You can just tell Windows to open *.usd files with Notepad, without having to change the file extension to *.txt first.

Status
Not open for further replies.