BCD996T No audio thru speaker issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a very gently used BCD996T ...I have audio from the front port for head phones but no audio out put from either the internal speaker or aux. speaker jack. The previous owner used the scanner to feed RR and at some point may have gone in and silenced the exterior speaker in the program- he is not not sure. Last up dated aprox. a year ago as I understand. I did test it using the weather radio feature and I was receiving a good, strong signal just only able to hear it thru the headphone jack. I did do a re-set as well (2-9-hold) with no luck .... need to know what to do.....

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Some of the more technically advanced folks may offer you some ideas on opening the case and look for things that you might repair.

However, I'm not sure if there is any reason for a feed provider to make any internal modifications for that purpose. With the headphone, external speaker and auxiliary jacks, one of these should have accomplished silencing the speaker, yet feeding audio.

Uniden has a flat rate repair service. For $49.50, plus shipping, "in most cases, include all parts and labor necessary to bring your product back to the original specifications". This might be a good option.

Product Repair

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
The original owner never said anything about opening it up nor does it look like it has ever been tinkered with...I am lead to believe that all it ever did,for the most part, was supply a feed to RR ......I am thinking a firm ware issue, perhaps, I really don't know....guess I could open it up and have a peek inside and check.

dougjgray

I have bcd996t that had the headphones plugged in it consatntly for like 3mos and when I took the jack out there was no speaker audio, inother words the jack apparently permantly stuck open, so if the previous owner did a feed they may have done the same thing and had some cable plugged in all the time and it broke the jack, I did a home brew repair with some solder, the only down side the headphone jack works but doesnt cut off the speaker

wtp

i vote the jack

much has been said around here on that issue. even the 396t (mine) would do that if i plugged in headphones and would come back if i jiggled something in the jack (even the plug in and out).
there is a bent metal tab that disconnects the speaker and gives sound to the headphones.
i don't know if you could replace it or go the lazy was and try an external speaker. the quickest way would be a computer speaker as the radio cant really drive just a speaker with headphone power.
any good amplified speaker with 3.5 mm STEREO jack will do.

cg

Premium Subscriber
This is a common issue with that radio and a involves a failure within the headphone/external speaker jack. The replacement jack part is cheap and the repair is straightforward but it involves disassembling the radio and unsoldering/soldering. It took me about 45 minutes or so to do each of my two radios I fixed.
A search of old threads should turn up some additional posts.

chris

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
...peeked inside the scanner and decided that it would probably be best to just to send it in to Uniden to be fixed...I have never heard of a jack failing like this after being used a few times or for an extended period of time...might as well have them update the firm ware to 3.02.00 while they have it in the shop as well......
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

teebee

Does anyone know where I can get the headphone replacement part from? I am very capable of changing this myself if I can get the part. Thanks

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden part number should be BJKY1324001 through Uniden Parts Department (the number was 800-554-3988 several years ago). You should verify the part number with them
Fairly easy replacement, use caution removing the ribbon cable if it has the RTV/sealant on it.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.