BCD996t Still not getting it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_scanr

This damn 996. I am yet to understand how to load systems on it. the problem is everybody tells me to get the info from the net or radio reference but I live in Cape Town South Africa. There is no info. I have the system I know what I want to do it's just I don't know how to do it on this scanner. I suppose I need somebody to spoon feed me with the first setup process and I am sure I will understand it fully then. Firstly, I don't know what a control channel sound like? I think somebody told me it sound like a motor boat. Well if I use my conventional scanner I find four of this frequencies within the band I am scanning which is 417,6400/417,6900/419,2600/419,7100 and I am scanning between 417Mhz and 420Mhz which I know the cops use this band (if i may call it a band hopefully someone will understand what I am trying to say). I also know that they are using a trunked system (Motorola Type 2). I've tried various ways of progamming this scanner and eventually got some sort of feed back on the display saying SID 7011h-001z and below this it said ID and a number. I made a not of as many different numbers (eg. 752,3728,5040,5104,3728, 4208,etc). This is as far as I can get. I am still unable to track the cops. I really don't know what I am doing. CAN SOMEBODY PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSE HELP MEEEEE!!!!! I am going insane not knowing how to do this. I can usually figure things out but this............ I've read countless manuals online and I've been through the manual that comes with the radio. I am begging somebody to please help me. THANX in advance.

JnglMassiv

For a Moto Type 2 system, you should be able to program the control channel (motorboat soundin' one) and the radio figures out the remaining channels, ID's, tracks the system, etc.

However, after a very brief search, it appears Cape Town may use a Tetra radio system. Sadly, this is not monitorable by the 996 or any other commercially available device.
http://web1.capetown.gov.za/press/Newpress.asp?itemcode=439

Newbie_scanr

Hey thanks for the quick reply JnglMassiv.
Yes I believe the trraffic department here are on tetra but the police departments are still on the old system. When you say enter the control channel and the rest will automatically happen where do I program the CC frequency? Sorry to be a nuisance but is there anyway possible you could give me an example with the CC freq being 417,6400.
Thanks again

JnglMassiv

When you say enter the control channel and the rest will automatically happen where do I program the CC frequency?
The control channel only setting is described on page 81 of the manual:
http://uniden.com/pdf/BCD996Tom.pdf
Basically, you set up the system and configure it for CC-only. Note that this is the Uniden default setting.

But I would first urge you to verify that the Type 2 system is still in existance at all.

Newbie_scanr

Basically, you set up the system and configure it for CC-only. Note that this is the Uniden default setting.

Thanks for the info again. What I did was to default the radio to get rid of all the junk i've created. So my display shows nothing to scan which I understand. Pressed menu/prog system/new system/mot type 2/yes/edit site/new site/uhf band/set freqs/new freqs/ entered the four different freqs I regard as CC's then scrolled to Set C-Ch only made sure it was on. Then pressed L/O to get out. Display shows from top to bottom Site 1-1 MU2, scrolls ID search, below this a frequency which I never entered and it continuously changes until eventually the squelch opens and the display reads from top to bottom Site 1-1 MU2, ID:2704 for example and below this a freq like 406.8000 but now voice just static. I am sure the trunked MOTO2 is still up and running.
Thanks again :)

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If it's a Motorola Type II UHF or VHF system, you have to tell the scanner the Base frequency and the offset. They are not like 800 MHz systems as there is no set plan for them to utilize on the UHF or VHF bands. By putting in the Offset and the Base, you're setting the scanner so it will follow that system.

This only applies to Mot Type II systems. Are you even sure that it is this type? Check out the link in n2mdk's post and let us know which CC sounds like the one you want to monitor.

Newbie_scanr

Hi Rescue161. Thanks for the reply. It definately sounds like the Moto Type 2 Trunking control channel. The four freqs sound exactly the same as the sample in the link. This is the four freqs - 17,6400/417,6900/419,2600/419,7100. You are 100% right about the Offset and Base. Now I suppose comes the big problem. How do I find the offset and base? Sorry about this but I am catching on very slowly. Thanks for the help again.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Hi Rescue161. Thanks for the reply. It definately sounds like the Moto Type 2 Trunking control channel. The four freqs sound exactly the same as the sample in the link. This is the four freqs - 17,6400/417,6900/419,2600/419,7100. You are 100% right about the Offset and Base. Now I suppose comes the big problem. How do I find the offset and base? Sorry about this but I am catching on very slowly. Thanks for the help again.

The easiest way to do it is get a scanner with a disc tap and hook it to computer running UniTrunker or T4Win. Once you do, the CC will be displayed with a number. You use that number and a formula to figure out the base/offset. The formula is on the attached sheet made by Wayne_H.

Attachments

• VHF and UHF Trunked System Frequency Assignments.doc
    35 KB · Views: 188

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just curious, what is the lowest frequency that has voice on it? It does not havve to be a CC.

Newbie_scanr

Thanks again guys for the help. As for your question Rescue161 the lowest freq that has voice is 417,6750. I've just finished reading as much from the Wiki link n2mdk gave me. Oh that has help alot. I'm really understanding how things work now. I've just place an order for a Dataslicer at one of the links on the Wiki. Because I'm in Cape Town gotta wait two weeks for it. I ordered the $49,99 package with the tutorial cd. I've reading about the formula as well. Will probably make some more sense when I am less in a hurry. 'For now gotta open my rig to find the disc tap. Seen pics of where to check. Seems easy enough.....I hope.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Are you sure that the frequencies are the ones you listed? The reason I ask is, if you use a single base, then you'd have to be .0025 off. Meaning that the frequencies may actually be:

If you tune to those, do they sound stronger or worse? If the ones that you posted are truly the right frequencies, then it may be tougher to figure out due to having more than one base/offset.

Can you list every frequency? Man, I wish you had at least one confirmed "hex" number. It'd be very easy then.

Newbie_scanr

Oops Sorry Rescue maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. The lowest freq with voice when I use my conventional scanner is on 417,6750 all the way to about 419,9950 but my lowest CC freq is 417,6400. When I tune to 417.6375 it sounds worse. All the freqs you've given me I hear nothing besides the 417.6375. On 417.6400 highest signal and very clear. Not sure if this answers your questions. You said I don't need a dataslicer? Ok too late :) but how would I link the PC to trunker then? I've downloaded trunker. Gonna install tomorrow. My brain cannot function so late at night 10:21PM already. Gotta go earn so moola tomorrow. Hope you guys will be online tomorrow. I thank you very much for all the help. I can't say how much I really appreciate it.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You need a data slicer for Trunker, but not UniTrunker. UniTrunker is far better than Trunker for sure. You run a cable from the disc tap on the scanner to the sound card on the computer. Then tell UniTrunker to use the sound card and bam, the data is displayed on the screen.

Yeah, you're gonna have to hook it up and get the data as those frequencies appear to have more than one base/offset.

Newbie_scanr

Hey Scott. Just got home now 9:10 PM. Too tired to attemp anything tonight. Will let you know tomorrow what i find. Downloaded Unitrunker though. Doesn't look too difficult. Got the goodies for the disc tap (RCA connectors and Mylar screened cable). Gonna solder tomorrow and try the full monty. Have a good one China. Cheers

tsapers

Hi, Newbie_scanr. What are the chances you are still active on this forum. I'm struggling with exactly the same problem as you.... Please give me a shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.