BCD996T Stopped receiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Somebody please help!! Out of the blue my BCD996T stopped receiving all communications. It won't pick up anything. Not even local weather channel freqs. What would cause this and how can I fix this?! The unit powers up fine and the speaker works (squelch and keypad tones) Just won't receiving anything. Please help!

mancow

Database Admin
Pop that thing open and check the antenna connection on the back side. Look for micro solder cracks and bad joints, cracked capacitors, etc...

Other than that it may be a blown RX amp. It happens... especially if there is static electricity.

mancow

Database Admin
Without test equipment really you can't.

I would look for physical damage due to stress or bad parts or solder joints. Other than that it's probably a trip to the Uniden depot.

EDIT: Do yo have an FRS radio or Ham portable or something to transmit on there next to it? If so, you might give that a try to see if it can receive anything at all, even through the case.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I used a FRS and it does pick that up but it wont pick up anything else (like a FM station or WX station and I have plenty that are in close range) What would cause this?

mancow

Database Admin
At least it's still operating (LO circuits , PLL etc.. are working). It definitely sounds like its something in the front end. Again, it's a matter of working through that chain to try to find out what it is. The problem is that without proper test equipment it's very difficult to do. You may get lucky and identify a physical fault that can be fixed with some solder but if it's an amp transistor it will need to go back to Uniden. If you don't see anything physically wrong then I would say it's time for a trip to Uniden.

LordJ

Are you running the stock antenna? If not try that....maybe something wrong with your antenna line. Also check that the ATT isn't on globally, would hurt reception as well...

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I've tried a number of antennas with the same results. I think i'm gonna have to send it in to Uniden...You would think the price you pay for these that they would last.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I've tried a number of antennas with the same results. I think i'm gonna have to send it in to Uniden...You would think the price you pay for these that they would last.

I know it's frustrating. For 10 years in the Navy I worked on Transmitters, Receivers, Electronic Surveillance and Electronic Countermeasures equipment. All very expensive, built like a tank, well documented and fairly accessible for repair. Used hard and treated rough, but still from time to time they broke and I earned my kept.

One thing I ran across on one of my personal HF radios. It has a downconverter that attaches to the BNC antenna jack to pickup 150MHz Public Service. I have not confirmed that the male pin on the converter is oversized by measurement, but the couple of times I tried it the normal HF antenna would not work afterwards. I had to carefully force the two opposing contacts in the female side of the connector together to get it to work again.

Yours quit out of the blue, but still something to look into.

Good Luck!

Mike

dwessman

I had that happen... it was an ID 10 T error, I inadvertantly locked everything I had programmed out. :eek: I'm wondering if you may have done the same thing?

There was a procedure and a wiki on what happened to me...

To enable disabled GQKs in a Conventional System, Tap F-Knob. Scroll to System, then press GQK #s you want to enable. If you disable all GQKs in a Conventional System, the method described is the only way to re-enable disabled GQKs.

Go here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...othing_to_Scan

Perhaps try that or reload your systems? Or - I'm out to lunch...:D

mule1075

Feed Provider
good idea and i wrote it down just in case but in the orignal post he is not getting his local weather channel either.i might be wrong but thanks for the tip i never thought about.now to get back on topic if you have tried different antennas and are still not getting anything as said before it might have to take a trip back to uniden.if it does keep us up to date with the progress if you can.
I had that happen... it was an ID 10 T error, I inadvertantly locked everything I had programmed out. :eek: I'm wondering if you may have done the same thing?

There was a procedure and a wiki on what happened to me...

To enable disabled GQKs in a Conventional System, Tap F-Knob. Scroll to System, then press GQK #s you want to enable. If you disable all GQKs in a Conventional System, the method described is the only way to re-enable disabled GQKs.

Go here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...othing_to_Scan

Perhaps try that or reload your systems? Or - I'm out to lunch...:D

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
well guys it's headed back to Uniden for repairs - 2 months shy of having the warranty, oh well. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.