BCD996T Uniden USB-1 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

I searched the forums, and could not find the answer:
Is the Uniden USB-1 Cable same as a normal USB cable that can be bought at bestbuy?
Or is the interface different than USB? I can't find any documentation whether I can use a standard cable ( I know it's not supported by Uniden ) or only Unidens USB-1 cable?

Can someone use a serial to USB connector to accomplish this?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
dimab said:
Can someone use a serial to USB connector to accomplish this?

Yes, the USB-1 cable does the same thing the supplied cable will do with a USB to serial adapter connected to it. The only difference is, one less cable, and Uniden will support it if you have problems using it with the UASD software and your radio.

W8EMX

Premium Subscriber
The USB-1 is basically a USB->Serial converter with the uniden style connector on the end of it rather than a 9pin standard serial port. If you want to use a standard USB to Serial convertor and attach to the rear port of the 996, you will also need a null-modem adaptor to flip the TX/RX pins for you (I found this out the difficult way after many hours of cussing at mine...). You could also use a standard USB to Serial connected to a uniden serial cable (i.e. like what comes with the 996/396) and connect to the front port w/ no problems either.

HTH

-DTS

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
W8EMX said:
The USB-1 is basically a USB->Serial converter with the uniden style connector on the end of it rather than a 9pin standard serial port. If you want to use a standard USB to Serial convertor and attach to the rear port of the 996, you will also need a null-modem adaptor to flip the TX/RX pins for you (I found this out the difficult way after many hours of cussing at mine...). You could also use a standard USB to Serial connected to a uniden serial cable (i.e. like what comes with the 996/396) and connect to the front port w/ no problems either.

HTH

-DTS

The USB-1 does not have a serial connector, it has a USB connector on one end and a custom connector on the other: http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...w_do_I_connect_the_scanner_to_the_computer.3F

http://www.scannermaster.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=01-551038

Last edited:

W8EMX

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
The USB-1 does not have a serial connector, it has a USB connector on one end and a custom connector on the other: http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde...w_do_I_connect_the_scanner_to_the_computer.3F

Correct - as i noted it has a uniden connector on the end, rather than a serial.

One additional item that i have noted with my USB-1 is that it does not like to function correctly at speeds above 57600 with my 996. This may just be a function of my particaular system/scanner combination too..

--DTS

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
OK, I got confused when you were talking about using a null-modem adapter to make the rear port work... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.