BCD996T vs. BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonH0135

For any of you who own one of these models, I need a little help. I am going to purchase one of these units, Im jw 1. how each one has been working, 2. any problems with them, 3. and which in your own opinion is a better buy. Thanks guys!

greenmamba

Yes, I bought a 396 - by accident. VERY surprised with its performance - Very Nnice.
I also have a radio shack pro 26, yes that a PRO 26, so I became re-intrested in the hobby when i found my old radio shack in some boxes I was clearing out.

Long story short.

I thought I had ordered a 996T from scanners r us but somehow I screwed up and got a 396t instead. Did not notice the error until the UPS man delivered a small package and I opened it then reviewed my Online order form, oops.

However, I loved it. Yes LOVED. after 7 days of use the LCD screen went bad and I am sending it back tomorrow and asking for the 996 as its replacement.

I think the only difference is GPS input and from the Monitoring times review seems more effort than it is worth. I think the premise is as you are driving your gps tells the scanner to start scanning other systems in the area you are in. Takes a lot of effort to set up from what I hear.

For me GPS is not really that important, and with 6000 channels I can have all the channels in the 396 i need and just selecet the ones I want to scan and lockout the others.

I do love how easy the 396 is to transport and fits in my palm. With a simple fm modulator I can listen to the action over my car speakers while the scanner is sittning in my cup holder. loud and clear.

Anyway its really more of portability and since I am a couch potatoe the 996 is more of a fit for me.
BUT - If I find another 500 laying around I would not hesitate buy the 396 Very Impressive.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I love my 396 as well.

I also have a pro 96, but it doesn't get much use here. I like the way you can navigate through trunked talk groups with ease on the 396. You have to press a whole bunch of keys on the 96 and you have to go out of trunking mode. Sucks in my opinion.

wjf

BrandonH0135 said:
For any of you who own one of these models, I need a little help. I am going to purchase one of these units, Im jw 1. how each one has been working, 2. any problems with them, 3. and which in your own opinion is a better buy. Thanks guys!

Thought about buying the 996, but bought the 396 right after the 996 was released.

I think the GPS is a novel idea, but it's practical use doesn't apply to my situation. And you can't beat the portability of the 396.

In short, I really, really enjoy my BCD396T. It's a terrific unit.

kraziebill

I actually have both. Have had the 396 for about 2 months and the 996 for about 3 weeks. My only problem thus far is the menus and settings are a bit different. The 996 has more features, which means more settings. Performance between the 2 is very identical.

red8

I have had my 396 since May and I have not had any problems with
it and I love it. As far as the 996 I do not have on so I cannot really
comment on. However if I do decide to get one I'll be able to put
my 2cnts in.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have both. It boils down to portability. If you want that, the '396 is the way to go. Otherwise get the '996. Otherwise they're both very similar in features and performance.

b52hbuff

W4KRR said:
I have both. It boils down to portability. If you want that, the '396 is the way to go. Otherwise get the '996. Otherwise they're both very similar in features and performance.

Certainly form factor is a big issue, but 996 is more than 396 mobile clone. 996 adds:
Close Call Scan List
Close Call Do Not Disturb
MilAir Service Search
Multi-Site Trunk Scanning
250 TGID limit
Faster computer upload
New display mode showing frequency & tag
GPS features

imcleish

If you want to be able to take it everywhere, go with the 396. It fits in a pocket.

If you plan to not take it everywhere/or only move it once in a while between car/truck/home, go with the 996

My 2 cents,

Ian

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The 396 is the only way to go, imho.

What good is a 996 when the power goes out? Race it to your car and plug it in, versus the 396 that defies AC. ;)

Imho,

Andy

IMO it realy depends on your individual needs. For me, portability is important and mounting a scanner in a vehicle is not practical, since I don't drive the same vehicle all of the time. I also like to take the scanner with me when I travel, and while I could use the 996 in a hotel room, the 396 just seems to be easier to carry around. Sometimes I like to take the scanner out on the pourch with me and listen, once again it seems easier with a handheld.

greenmamba

battle continues..

as you can tell THEY are BOTH great.

PORTABILITY...

as far as power going out I will be using my 996 on UPS which will give me 8 hours of run time with the unit. Just hope the power comes on before 8 hours or out to the car I go.

I know I will buy a 396 as well, or its next version release, just did not have a grand to get both at the same time.
Don't even sweat it.. either choice wil be good. More portability = 396.

Regards

Last edited:

b52hbuff

greenmamba said:
as you can tell THEY are BOTH great.

as far as power going out I will be using my 996 on UPS which will give me 8 hours of run time with the unit. Just hope the power comes on before 8 hours or out to the car I go.
Regards

I have seen others do this, and I wonder what's the point? Just about every 'base' radio I know takes 12VDC as input. Why bother with the power losses in the voltage conversion? Just connect a battery direct to the radio??

garys

Premium Subscriber
I bought both so I wouldn't have to chose! The 396 is nice to take when I go on trips. The 996 stays in the truck, besides it's too big to pack in suit case.

Gary

greenmamba

b52hbuff said:
I have seen others do this, and I wonder what's the point? Just about every 'base' radio I know takes 12VDC as input. Why bother with the power losses in the voltage conversion? Just connect a battery direct to the radio??

You are right. a radio shack sealed 12vdc would work great. The UPS (my UPS) powers a couple of other items so in my case a ups fits the bill better.

Status
Not open for further replies.