Bcd996t vs bcd96xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I live in Nashua NH and everything is digital and Rebanding. I currently own a 996T and I cannot program the talk group IDS. I remember posting here awhile back and someone told me that the 996T will not expect the Talk group IDS because of the Rebanding and I would need the 996T.

I would like to know if this is true before I spent $$$$

Thank You

scannersnstuff

i think you may be a little confused. i believe you just have to enter a new custom table. you may want to look at the owners guide.

NFR85

i think you may be a little confused. i believe you just have to enter a new custom table. you may want to look at the owners guide.

I'm not a techy, lol and I've tried that and its very confusing. I want to be able to see whose talking usually it’s a 4 digit number.

scannersnstuff

do you mean you want to see the unit id ?. if so, and i could be mistaken, i think only the 996xt and 396xt and hp-1 will do that.

NFR85

do you mean you want to see the unit id ?. if so, and i could be mistaken, i think only the 996xt and 396xt and hp-1 will do that.

For example Nashua PD for Talk group ID is 49168. I want that to show up when it scans

scannersnstuff

you could either leave the alpha tag off, or just program nashua pd 49168. or you could abbreviate it,if not enough charachters. i also believe there's a way to toggle between alpha and talkgroup id/frequency.
i don't get too technical with mine. i only have 1 trunked system setup in n.j. 2 excellent helper's would be dj88 and highpockets. i take my hat off to the both of them for their help.

Page 51 in the 996 manual, "Toggling the Display Mode"...

Hold on a channel, press the function button (silver rotary knob), press 0 (zero). You want "Mode 2". The frequencies will now be displayed below the channel label on conventional channels, and the talkgroup will now be displayed below the label on trunked channels.

Dewey HOPE THIS HELPS !.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRHKY94

NFR85:

I have a 996T and see both the alpha tag for the channel and the talk group ID, i.e. Nashua Police Dispatch 49168. I have attached a screen capture below for you. I use Proscan to program my 996T and can send you the file I use for Nashua if you like. Just let me know.

Attachments

• Nashua.jpg
    Nashua.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,179

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I live in Nashua NH and everything is digital and Rebanding. I currently own a 996T and I cannot program the talk group IDS. I remember posting here awhile back and someone told me that the 996T will not expect the Talk group IDS because of the Rebanding and I would need the 996T.

I would like to know if this is true before I spent $$$$

Thank You

You don't need a new radio - this is very bad information, frankly. But what you do need is to make sure your 996 is up to date with the latest firmware. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. From here on out, anything in blue is a link, and as for terminology, that's what our online glossary is for...

Category:RR Glossary - The RadioReference Wiki

Let's start by looking at the database entry for Nashua's system...

Nashua Trunking System, Nashua, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies

Since some of the freqs have a 0 in the 4th decimal position, a custom table will be needed to copy this system. So our first task is to see whether your 996T has the most up to date firmware - the steps for finding that are linked here...

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

We will refer to this again in a bit...next you will need to be able to connect your PC and scanner, and since new PCs don't have serial ports, a USB converter is needed. Scanner Master sells Uniden's USB-1, and several off the shelf ones have also been known to work. This is discussed in detail here...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Now to the real dog of an issue - if you need new firmware, then click on your model number in the table found in the updating the firmware article and follow the directions EXACTLY. This process is a royal pain in the arse, and if you have trouble - you're not alone. A LOT of people have run into troubles here.

Now once you're all done with that, you can now go get a copy of ProScan to be able to use NYRHK's file, or you can do what a lot of folks starting off do - get a copy of FreeScan (which is freeware) and you can move to ProScan later. As FreeScan is freeware, you lose nothing in going this route. We host the FreeScan user guide in our wiki here;

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

and the links for ProScan and FreeScan (among other compatible packages) can be found here;

Popular Software for Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

A USB connection will be needed, regardless of what software you use, as it will also be necessary for the firmware upgrade. If you get a premium subscription, you will be able to download data from our database - and it will automatically set the custom tables up for you.

This is a lot to swallow at one shot, for sure. You didn't say (or show in your profile) where you are, but we have a number of state forums - perhaps someone can help you out locally, or you can go to the Scan New England forums, which specializes in that area...

Scan New England - SNE News Articles

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The 996T will do talkgroup ID's and the alpha tag/display can be shown in many different ways

The 996T works just fine with re-banding, just make sure you have the latests firmware version to ensure that you have the re-banding update.

The 996XT does RADIO ID's... thats one thing that your 996T wont do (i.e. each radio has a different id and you can see them).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah I forgot that the XT does RIDs, while the older T model doesn't. So if you want RIDs, you're going to have to shell out some bucks...best regards..Mike

NFR85

Thanks everyone, as its a little late now since I ordered a new BCD996XT.

NFR85

I got my BCD996XT and i use a software called ARC-XT I uploaded all 54 imports from RR to my scanner. But it shows Nashua Police Primary with UID and a number. Its kinda of hard to explain but did they get rid of the TGID? and its just UIDs? When FD or EMS keys up it shows the alpa tags

NFR85

I got my BCD996XT and i use a software called ARC-XT I uploaded all 54 imports from RR to my scanner. But it shows Nashua Police Primary with UID and a number. Its kinda of hard to explain but did they get rid of the TGID? and its just UIDs? When FD or EMS keys up it shows the alpa tags

I noticed Fire the UIDS change each day. I thought it was the same I would have changed it to the Engine or truck talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.