BCD996T vs PRO-2096?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbeck41

Always been a Uniden fan. I own a 396 and BCT-15, had a 246. I have seen alot of posts where the PRO-2096 or the Radio Shack digital scanners are better at recieving digital signals. It looks like Uniden is having a problem with the digital side of scanning. Can anybody tell if this is true. I would like to buy another digital base scanner! Gregory

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Personally, I've not had any problem with the Michigan MPSCS Statewide P25 system or the Indiana SAFE-T statewide system (Mixed mode 3600 baud) with the exception of "some" machine gunning on SAFE-T. Both statewide systems P25 audio sound just as good on my 996 as it does on my PRO-96.

Each person has their own idea of how well something works best for them. If your unhappy with it, sell off the 996 and buy the PRO-2096. If you can afford $500 a pop, get both and enjoy the best of both manufacturers. The end result is, your the one who has to be happy with it.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The 2096 is better with CQPSK (digital simulcast.) That's very rare, so if you aren't in an area where you'd receive that then stay with the 996.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As noted in this thread from the Arkansas forum, at least one AWIN site is using a few 700mhz band frequencies. Comments in the posts indicate this is in the experimental stage for now, but may become standardized across the system at a future date. LATIE, Louisiana's system, is also in the 700mhz band. The 996, and your current 396, are the only availabe scanners that will trunk track digital systems in the 700mhz band. The 2096, and it's handheld counterpart the Pro-96, can receive the 700mhz band, if 'opened up' via software, but will not trunk track there.

As rdale noted, for certain, specific, system types, the 2096 may have an edge in digital decoding. How does your 396 sound on AWIN? The 996 should sound at least as good, probably better. Add to that the real possibility of having some sites with 700mhz frequencies on AWIN in your state in making your decision.

gbeck41

Thanks rdale and hiegtx! As rdale pointed out the CQPSK which is very rare I dont need to worry about. My 396 picks up AWIN pretty good. I have program my 396 with the AWIN as digital and then program the freqs in a conventional system. I pick more up on the conventional. It might be that I live out in the sticks! I also monitoring the Missouri Highway Patrol, looks like their adding alot of 700MHZ freqs. I think I will stay with the 996! Thanks for help, Gregory

Curfew

I have been pondering the purchase of a 996 but there is a problem i can see, someone may be able to kick in here.

Yesterday i was in a city and was using a BC-3000XLT to tune into a certain frequency, i was using the stock antenna. I was receiving the signal fairly good.

I then took the pro-96 with it's stock antenna and punched in the same frequency, i could barely decipher audibly the signal. Now i know when comparing the BC3000's DX ability vs. the Pro-96's that the BC3000 will probably do better because it was built non-triple conversion as the 96. Seems as if the ears on the 3000 are better than the 96 because of all the filtering that the newer scanners started to receive.

More on experimenting, i had a pro2067, a BC245, and the uniden base staion equivalent of the 245, i think its a 895. Seems when i was 50 miles away from this city with my current set up at home, every scanner i mentioned here did well in certain areas.

Being im on a fringe area, i need a scanner that will have the ability to track distant discretes or trunking control channels. Seemed as if the Unidens did better at this distant ability over the pro 93, and pro96. The 2067 did well at this at times, but overall, the unidens won out with this.

Now what keeps me back is that i don't want to spent 500 bones and find out the 996 or it's handheld counterpart will not have the ability to hear well. Im wondering if there is anyone out here that can shed light on this. It would have to be someone who still owns some of the older ones and has the newer ones also and do some comparison.

In a heartbeat i will buy the handheld uniden version if i could simply know it will hear better. The pro96 in my opinion is a good scanner, it will do local and do midrange distant stuff well (about 25 miles from the transmitting antenna), but the fringe areas further out from this 25 miles with or without line of sight need a little attention.

May be where somone out here knows to to exactly fine tune the 96 to where it will be more sensitive along with what some of the first generation trunking scanners will do.

Another thing that has always annoyed the hell out of me is the features of one radio vs. another. Hopefully one of the makers will produce one that has everthing.

John.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Uniden vs RS PRO96

I have been in scanning over 35 years, im not perfect but using many models of both scanners, trunking over 25 miles in MY OPINION from my home comes in slightly better on my Uniden 898,245,246,396, the same systems connected to the same antennas will drop out on my PRO96,2096,2053, but as you mentioned things like audio clarity, audio loudness are better on RS. My OWN personal opinion, so i am lucky to own all of them and luv the hobby....Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.