BCD996XT AC Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike36507

My power supply has died, only had the radio for a few days now. I found another power supply that I had laying around and it will power the radio. My question is will it be safe, the specs for each adapter are below:

Uniden AD-1009 The other adapter, not sure what brand
Input 120VAC 60Hz 0.3A Input 120VAC 60Hz
Output 13.8VDC 750mA Output 12VAC 1250mA

Also really curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. It was plugged in a surge protector along with other things that still work perfectly fine. Thanks for any help with this.

kd8x

My power supply has died, only had the radio for a few days now. I found another power supply that I had laying around and it will power the radio. My question is will it be safe, the specs for each adapter are below:

Also really curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. It was plugged in a surge protector along with other things that still work perfectly fine. Thanks for any help with this.

shouldn't be any problem at all I wouldn't think. Just make sure polarity is okay and it should be since it is a uniden supply...

mike36507

Well the Uniden supply is the one that came with the radio, the unknown brand supply is the one I was wondering if it would hurt the radio. The only difference I can tell ( and by no means am I an electrician or anything) is the output. The Uniden is 750mA and the supply I'm wanting to use is 1250mA. But I'm going to use it until my new one from Uniden comes in.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well the Uniden supply is the one that came with the radio, the unknown brand supply is the one I was wondering if it would hurt the radio. The only difference I can tell ( and by no means am I an electrician or anything) is the output. The Uniden is 750mA and the supply I'm wanting to use is 1250mA. But I'm going to use it until my new one from Uniden comes in.

If I'm reading your specs correctly, the no name supply has an AC output unlike the Uniden supply which is DC.
I don't know what the radio has in it for rectification but I don't think I'd power it from an AC output adapter even if it seems like it is working.

The 996 may only have a single diode and would only give you half wave rectification which may burn things up.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the Uniden supply that comes with the 996 is a Regulated supply and your AC output supply is not going to be regulated. Don't use it.

kd8x

Are you sure the output on the other adapter is 12VAC? This is abnormal for a plug in supply. Look again and see if that isn't 12VDC at 1250ma and if so that will be fine as the scanner will only draw the amount of current it actually needs which is probably only about half that much (600ma)...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the output on the other adapter is 12VAC? This is abnormal for a plug in supply.

I don't know, I have about 300 to 400 wall warts and I'd bet at least 33% are AC output adapters.
A lot of telecom devices and old dial up modems used AC output adapters.

Current day devices, I agree, DC outputs will be the norm for most consumer devices. I still see a LOT of AC outputs on the warts for oddball and commercial stuff.
Also many current day devices, especially for computer equipment, will be of the switcher type. I hate them as they are generally not well filtered and create havoc in the HF bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.