Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson21

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if the info is out there already its an extremely specific thing to look up would be hard to find but here it goes.

I have a BCD996XT and I am trying to listen into the Trunked system in the title there and I noticed a few things with scanner. I noticed with the control channels frequency numbers that my scanner cuts off the last digits on them all like on the Porter County Simulcast the red number/primary control channel reads on Radio Reference: 771.56875c, my scanner says 771.5687 and it wont let me add the 5 when I try and hit ok it still says 771.5687. Is this a issue? I already turned the steps down to 5.0000 but that didn't do anything.

Also when holding on a channel in the trunked system it says Finding Control Channel I never noticed that before. Could this also be a sign of trouble and how to fix. Scanner does seem unusually quiet as well, I really just want to listen to a specific towns PD but I understand it shares its channels with other towns.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Reset your 700/800 MHz bands in the scanner so that you can do 6.25 KHz spacing. Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual Also Finding Control Channel means it is searching for an active Control Channel. Make sure you have the SAFE-T system programmed in correctly, and then we come to the other issue... If your trying to monitor an Simulcast Site, you very well could be having big time troubles with Simulcast Multipath Distortion Simulcast Distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Sorry if the info is out there already its an extremely specific thing to look up would be hard to find but here it goes.

I have a BCD996XT and I am trying to listen into the Trunked system in the title there and I noticed a few things with scanner. I noticed with the control channels frequency numbers that my scanner cuts off the last digits on them all like on the Porter County Simulcast the red number/primary control channel reads on Radio Reference: 771.56875c, my scanner says 771.5687 and it wont let me add the 5 when I try and hit ok it still says 771.5687. Is this a issue? I already turned the steps down to 5.0000 but that didn't do anything.

Also when holding on a channel in the trunked system it says Finding Control Channel I never noticed that before. Could this also be a sign of trouble and how to fix. Scanner does seem unusually quiet as well, I really just want to listen to a specific towns PD but I understand it shares its channels with other towns.
Not an issue the scanner only displays digits

Wilson21

Premium Subscriber
When I moved scanner by window I get better reception and hear stuff. But my bed takes up most the room by the window and there's no table over there. I cant leave scanner on the bed lol. I have to figure something out. I mean I could just listen to it on Broadcastify but I take pride in listening with my own hardware and to choose what I want to listen to. But I will reset the spacing too back to 6.25 KHz

VASCAR2

I use an old 800 MHz magnetic cell phone antenna in my bedroom window. I have a metal plate I slide between the window blind and the top of the window frame. My room has cathedral ceilings so I hang the antenna upside down from the metal plate. The antenna works real well on 700-800 MHz Safe-T and the local VHF High Band. Not the greatest on VHF Low Band but it isn’t used much in my area (Only 1 REMC).

Just get creative, nothing says you can’t run the coax under the bed. There are some decent outdoor scanner antennas that don’t have to be very high to get better reception than the supplied pull up antenna on the scanner in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.