BCD996XT and TACN

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend who has a Uniden BCD996XT Scanner and is trying to program the scanner to receive TACN. As this is reportedly only a Phase 1 P25 Scanner, is there anyway he can do so? Thanks in advance for your help.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Your friend will only be able to receive FDMA (mode D) talkgroups on the system. Anything mode "T" (or "TE fully encrypted) is TDMA and cannot be tracked by the 996XT
Thank you for your prompt reply. How does one determine if the site is FDMA or TDMA. In particular, he is trying to program the the Hippie Town Farm Road site in Grundy County, TN.

wtp

the site would be called phase 2.
but that means it could carry phase 1.
it is determined by what the talkgroup is using 1 or 2.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
He is trying to receive the talk groups shown in the RR TACN database--TN-Coffee County (16) - Public Safety

RMason

Premium Subscriber
He is trying to receive the talk groups shown in the RR TACN database--TN-Coffee County (16) - Public Safety
The RR database shows that Coffee County Public Safety talk groups are Phase 1. (Mode column = D)

TN - Coffee County (16) - Public Safety

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
48147bc13DCoffee EMSEMSEMS Dispatch
48146bc12DManchester FDManchester FireFire Dispatch
48144bc10DManchester PDManchester PoliceLaw Dispatch
48138bc0aDCoffee SO 1Sheriff - Law 1Law Talk
48139bc0bDCoffee SO 2Sheriff - Law 2Law Talk
48148bc14DCoffee FDVolunteer Fire DepartmentFire Dispatch

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I understand that the site that Coffee Co. is using is the Hippie Town Farm in Grundy County, as there is not a TACN site in Coffee Co.
From RMason's posts I gather that Mode D is Phase 1, so, I assume that Mode T, is Phase 2. Is that correct?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I understand that the site that Coffee Co. is using is the Hippie Town Farm in Grundy County, as there is not a TACN site in Coffee Co.
From RMason's posts I gather that Mode D is Phase 1, so, I assume that Mode T, is Phase 2. Is that correct?
yes. D = phase 1 (FDMA); T = phase 2 (TDMA)

jimg

Premium Subscriber
So, it appears he should be able to receive these talk groups on his BCD996XT, as they are all D "phase 1, from the Hippie Town Farm Rd/Grundy Co. TACN site--is that correct?