BCD996XT Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rworrell

Premium Subscriber
Hi. Thanks in advance for reading this message.

I have a BCD996XT on its way to me, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I would like to have the scanner near my desk, so I can reach it, but I'm worried that the interference from nearby computers, monitors, and other electrical equipment will affect its ability to pick anything up. I would like to extend the antenna away from all of that stuff and put it near a window.

What is the best way to do that?

Is it as simple as buying a length of cable, attaching the stock antenna on one end and the scanner on the other end? If so, what sort of cable / adapters do I need to buy? If not, could someone point me in the correct direction?

Most of the frequencies I want to monitor are between 100 and 200, but I understand our county is going digital on 1/1/13.

Once again, I appreciate you reading this message, and I would be more than grateful for an answer.

Thanks,
Ray.

rworrell

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response and the welcome!

I should have mentioned that I need about 25 feet of cable.

So, I would take the Diamond, attach that to the window mount and then use some sort of barrel connector to run a longer length of cable to the scanner?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks,
Ray.

lep

My own 996XT sits on top of the LCD monitor for my Vista operating system PC, I operate the ProScan virtual scanner on screen in Search Mode looking for new (to me) Talk Groups on my local 700 MHz P-25 site. I am using an RG58 coax cable with BNC connector to the office window about 8 feet away where a Diamond antenna is connected. I have no interference from my DSL internet connection which is ON 24/7.

All cables are shielded and where appropriate have an earth ground using typical precautions.

LEP

rworrell

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm new to the forum, I believe my previous reply is in Moderator Limbo, but I thought I would give you an update.

I ordered the following...

Diamond RH-77CA Antenna
Valor Sunction Cup Mount
BNC Female to Female Coupler
A spool of coax RG-58 with BNC connectors

I'm hoping all will go well.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
To eliminate any interference make use of PL/DPL codes when they are used on analog simplex frequencies, any trunking systems will not be a problem.

Reason being is the interference would have to effect the frequency and also include the pl/dpl codes - which certainly wont happen hehe.

For here I had a lot of interference on some lesser frequencies,main one was coast guard ch 21 157.050 but all the interference was within ~ 10 feet of the pc stuff. Found though the main culprit was my wired router. I picked up a sony tablet-s so I needed a new router wndr 4500 for wireless. Virtually all interference has gone away.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm new to the forum, I believe my previous reply is in Moderator Limbo, but I thought I would give you an update.

I ordered the following...

Diamond RH-77CA Antenna
Valor Sunction Cup Mount
BNC Female to Female Coupler
A spool of coax RG-58 with BNC connectors

I'm hoping all will go well.

If you have time,let us know how it goes.

rworrell

Premium Subscriber
I haven't received the antenna or suction cup mount, yet, they say it's shipping today, but I did connect the stock antenna up with the coax and BNC barrel and placed the antenna next to the window, far away from the scanner location. I'm getting much better reception than I did when the antenna was directly attached to the scanner. I can't wait to try the setup out with the Diamond.

Thanks for all of the help!

Ramathorne

I am still looking for the Valor BNCSCRS‏...Anywhere besides universal radio who wants a crazy shipping price to me here in NS

Blackink

My BCT15X is 1' away from a dual monitor set-up, it's less than 3' away from the tower of my desktop, and it's 3' away from the modem and router. I didn't notice any interference with the stock antenna before I installed the ST-2 antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.