BCD996XT can-it be pre-programmed if I live in canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve2que

I have problem trying to have pre programmed channels by degrees of positionning (quebec canada) is it a software version for canada?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
"Degrees of positioning" = GPS coordinates?

The channel programming data will depend on your exact location and listening interests. Programming software needed to put it in the scanner doesn't care where you live. ProScan or FreeScan are your best choices.

ve2que

thanks I have try to enter longitude and lattiture and it says error or something like that. So I am a bit discouraged, it was so easy in the 70's up to 90's :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Check your format. You're probably entering decimal degrees with the scanner set to degree-minute-second format, or vice versa.

derevs

You didn't say which scanner you are using. In most of the current scanners you only need to enter your postal code and voila! it will figure out the lat-long on its own.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
You didn't say which scanner you are using. In most of the current scanners you only need to enter your postal code and voila! it will figure out the lat-long on its own.

I'd go with the one in the thread title...

BCD996XT can-it be pre-programmed if I live in canada?

derevs

My bad, should have read the title better. Do not remember if the 996 has the postal code converter like my SDS200.
However I went one better for the op and tried a Quebec City postal code and the following lat-long were returned:
lat 46 48'12.60 Long -71 15'48.96.
Hope this might help.

ve1sef

It can be done, but you need software to do it, I've experimented using Butel ARC-XT Pro and accessing the RR database.
A problem I repeatedly had was the out of range message, until I realized that when entering the longitude to put a minus sign in front of the number. Or. put the decimal point in the wrong spot. I use the DEG format for the GPS.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My bad, should have read the title better. Do not remember if the 996 has the postal code converter like my SDS200.
However I went one better for the op and tried a Quebec City postal code and the following lat-long were returned:
lat 46 48'12.60 Long -71 15'48.96.
Hope this might help.
996XT is not a Zipcode based scanner. One assumes the OP is trying to use the GPS to turn on and off systems as he is moving as that would be the only use of GPS in the programming for that radio.

Zip code scanning does not work particularly well in Canada due to the programming using only the first three digits of the Canadian postal code to locate the scanner. For example my postal code begins with T0L; my town is one of 34 across a 200 x 220 mile area of Alberta that shares that prefix. Because it's not actually a square (or rectangle), it'd be a bit of a lie for me to say it was 44,000 square miles in size, but it's a gigantic area nonetheless. My full postal code (T0L plus the next three digits) accurately pinpoints my town, but using just the prefix only identifies which general part of the province I am in. The same goes for most other postal codes, except the ones in urban areas, which are much smaller and have much better precision, more like a five-digit US ZIP code.

ve1sef

Agreed, the postal code format isn't the best. The 996xt was made before that tech was available. After I got the 536 that's when I played around with the 996xt. When I made up the systems for NS, I used the RR info for municipalities and provincial. In the process discovered the software I was using was limited to a maximum GPS range of 75 miles. In the database the MPSRN talk groups for NS have a range of 185.5 miles. Ended up having to divide the talk groups into 5 smaller regions to cover the province. As in my previous post it can be done. But, it takes a lot of time and patience to create the systems. You really need to check the Manuel and get familiar with entering GPS info into your software of choice.

One more thing, when I programmed the 996xt for GPS use in the vehicle. When the scanner was turned on, all the systems would turn on.
The 996xt will scan thru all systems until the GPS figures out where it is and then start turning off the out of range systems . this could take awhile.
In my case at least 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.