bcd996xt & dsd+ help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mescalero

hello
I have just the bcd996xt and I'm trying to use it but I can not quite do that with dsd +
I connect the stereo cable from the PC microphone output to the receiver via the REC does not come through and taken out Speacker very strong signal that generates errors in dsd + by adjusting the levels in the radio and the controls on the PC.
Is there a way to pick up the signal from the discriminator?
With other receivers changed the tap and everything is ok with dongle RTL and SDR signal clear and clean ...
I hope I was clear in explaining the problem.
Thank you for your attention.
Greetings from Rome

br0adband

You can't use DSD+ with filtered audio from the headphone jack of the 996XT - the REC output is a line-level audio signal, not a discriminator tap, there's a big big difference between the two. From what I just found doing some research, there is a setting somewhere in the 996XT menus that allows you to output P25 control channel data from the REC output; that's still not a discriminator tap - not even close - but it would allow you to use software like Pro96Com or some other program to decode that control channel data stream for analysis purposes.

The RTL stick + SDR software is pretty much going to be your only option for decoding digital content other than P25 (like DMR/MOTOTRBO, NXDN, ProVoice, etc) since the 996XT can do P25 itself. As noted on the RR wiki page for the 996XT:

Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications to the scanner Now supported in UniTrunker version 1.0.0.10 or newer.

So for the record: the REC out is not a discriminator tap, just a line-out signal for recording the audio, or by way of a menu change it can output the control channel data for analysis with other applications.

Last edited:

mescalero

Thanks for the reply
Unfortunately, here there are still many advanced systems in use ...
The most common is the MOTOTRBO/DMR & TETRA
I am looking for a change to pick up the signal from the discriminator of the 996xt and I'm sorry that this receiver is not able to offer on the motherboard where to pick up a point .
I tweaked icom icr5 and icr 8500 and uniden 50xl ( vintage. hii .. ) with good usability and a lot of satisfaction with RTL dongle ..
With cable and stereo output speacker dsd + returns all errors and it is impossible to use it ..
I also tried the options that you suggested but the results are poor.
I see the signal spectrum with FreeScan and I understand that by adjusting the levels the signal goes dirty and saturated .
first aspect of it aside if there is' some other solution perhaps by some user who owns the receiver .
In Italy it is not very well known and programming manual is frustrating ..
The databases are obviously not applicable ...
I follow with pleasure the discussions on the forum.
Cheers , see you soon

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
bcd996xt & dsd+ help

I am looking for a change to pick up the signal from the discriminator of the 996xt and I'm sorry that this receiver is not able to offer on the motherboard where to pick up a point .

Are you just looking to add a discriminator tap on a 996XT?

The point on the circuit board is labelled DISC. Can't get much easier than that.

Do a search on Google or here and you'll find several messages detailing the exact point although with it labelled DISC, it will be hard to miss.

mescalero

Are you just looking to add a discriminator tap on a 996XT?

The point on the circuit board is labelled DISC. Can't get much easier than that.

Do a search on Google or here and you'll find several messages detailing the exact point although with it labelled DISC, it will be hard to miss.

-----
many thanks for the reply
I'll try to look better with search key "DISC" ..
but the procedure is the same? That is, find the point you just go out on a jack panel with chassis ground with a shielded cable mono or you have to add on the point resistance or capacitor?
is directly filtered?
It should be in the top or bottom?
Also .. the output signal is constant or has the same problems that I find picking up the signal from the speaker cabinet as I do now?
Sorry for the many questions but it is a question that interests me very much to make at least the DMR since APCO and other protocols are not as popular as I know in my area.
However, any suggestion is welcome.
greetings

mescalero

found!

ok found the pattern and the point.
proceed to solder a cable station and connect the shield to the jack panel
Confirm that does not require a resistor or capacitor, but only direct contact?
Thank you so much .. and say that I had searched for days (looked bad ... obviously)
thank you very much

SteveEJ

Premium Subscriber
Where

I am having the same issue finding the details for the Disc tap and whether to use a resistor or not.

Can you provide details or a link?

Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.