BCD996XT External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Be sure any external speaker you are using has a stereo plug. Plugging an ESP20 (mono plug) directly into the 396XT will short half the amplifier to ground and you'll not be happy with the audio level.

ffighter17

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to tell the different between a stereo plug and a mono plug and can they be replaced or buy an adapter? I assume all the speakers I have are going to be mono and not stereo.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Look at the tip on virtually any set of earbuds. That is stereo (three seperate metal sections of the tip). Mono has only two seperate metal sections, but one section is large enough to short one of the stereo channels to ground if plugged into a stereo jack.

RS sells a stereo-mono adapter that would prevent the shorting.

Violation

I once bought a box of 8 or so GE MASTR speakers at a hamfest. One of them had a black metal housing, and the rest were blue-gray plastic. The black one is the best ex spkr I've ever used. The plastic ones are almost as good, but much better than the Motorola Motrac (too tinny) speaker that I was used to. I now use a Motorola Micor speaker in my mobile w/ icom 208h (due to space limitations). Any GOOD ext. spkr. will greatly improve any installation, base or mobile.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Be sure any external speaker you are using has a stereo plug. Plugging an ESP20 (mono plug) directly into the 396XT will short half the amplifier to ground and you'll not be happy with the audio level.

Is the 996XT external speaker jack a stereo output also or can a mono plug be used?

lep

Several of you are using the model numbers 396XT and 996XT interchangeably. They are two quite different scanners so be careful that you don't mix up the advice being given in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.