BCD996XT firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Silly question. Can firmware be written that would allow the scanner's delay function to work on individual channels? NYSP uses base/mobile for patrol but car to car and tax frequencies need delay. I have programmed the radio around this but individual channels would good.

rbm

There's an easy work-around for that.

This is what I do with exactly those frequencies and local TAC frequencies.

Just create a separate system file with only those channels and make the delay anything you want.

Rich

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Actually that is exactly what I did. I love the 996. Just figured I'd ask on the individual channels. Thanks!

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Am I mistaken

Or do I not understand your question...?

I'm pretty sure you can set delay on individual channels.

I guess I'll have to go look for sure...

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm, I guess you can't do individual channels on freescan.

I have mine set to 1 second for the group. That must be the setting I found to work the best, hence not realizing/remembering that I couldn't turn it off completely by channel. ;)

I have noticed with my 800 that I have to set it just under one second, otherwise it will jump off before they're done transmitting.

rbm

If there's any 'picket-fencing' on a signal, a delay of zero will allow scanning to resume.

That may not be a big deal on conventional systems with just a few frequencies, but on larger systems you can miss a lot before the scan comes back around.

On my feeds I find that 2 or 3 seconds usually works well.
Of course nothing is ever perfect for all things, so it's a compromise.

Rich

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Very true

Seems weird that uniden wouldn't continue/offer this feature.

Yet another advantage of the 800/197 radios/software. Not only can you select individual delay but you can adjust it in fractions. Doesn't sound like much but I love that. You don't realize how handy that can be until you use it.

For instance, on some of the more "important" tac channels or frequencies you are "investigating", you can set it for 25 seconds if you want. That has come in handy whilst being in the other room and then getting to the unit for storing, not missing replies or what-have-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.