BCD996XT front port...issures...@#$$%%^

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
The front port and/or associated connection cables on the 996T and 996XT has to be one of the poorest design ideas I can imagine. The port wouldn't be so bad if the cables which connected into them were at 90 degrees, but to stick out an inch is crazy. The port and cable connector are both so small, it is just too fragile. OK...now that I have griped, can anyone guess what I did?

I have my 996XT mounted in my trunk and it is connected to the remote head using the prescribed cable. Anyway, the plastic part in the middle of the port broke off and now there are just he pins there. The cable still attaches and the remote head seems to work, but the connection is very loose because the plastic is gone now.

This would be better if it were a mini USB port or similar. I could see where if a USB port were used it could possibly get confused thinking it was a USB port, but it would be a more stable port.

Has anyone else dealt with this or replaced this port with something different? Or anyone replaced the board this port is connected to?

It would be nice to have a port in the back of the unit I could connect to the remote head to while I have the GPS connected. Anyone know which pins in the DB-9 connector would send info to the remote head? Maybe I can tap off the serial port in the back...maybe even at the same time the GPS is connected.

Any ideas??? Help!!!

ilgrant

It would be nice to have a port in the back of the unit I could connect to the remote head to while I have the GPS connected. Anyone know which pins in the DB-9 connector would send info to the remote head? Maybe I can tap off the serial port in the back...maybe even at the same time the GPS is connected.

Any ideas??? Help!!!

Not sure if this is helpful...but the back of the 996xt uses pins 2 and 3 for communication.

File:D9 Null Modem Wiring.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.