BCD996XT - Getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake69

Premium Subscriber
Okay, this is more for my thought process organization than anything else, but please offer up any suggestions or comments you feel would help me. I'm looking at configuring my scanner to listen for emergency freqs as I travel based off the GPS I install with it for both entertainment and traffic alert purposes.

I downloaded the 996XT manual in PDF format and saved several links I could find like the "Easier To Read" manual. I also ordered a printed version as a desktop reference along with the Uniden GPS puck I'll need for travel. I skimmed through both manuals and loaded up Freescan and ARC-XT basic, then downloaded the default preloads from the scanner and saved them in their respective software packages. This will keep me from deleting something critical. I then upped the firmware to 1.04 and paid for a years subscription to here for my data.

Now I'm working on a plan of attack for how I will set up the scanner. Although it is currently at 30% with the presets, I figure I'll flush out the preload system and set up what I want. Basically, I'm looking to have it scan for Fire/EMS/Police, military (unlocked freqs anyway...), possibly HAM, and gov't freqs at least in VA, MD, DC, NC, and SC, although I'd like to see if I can squeeze in the lower 48 states in my unit. I'm not too sure about its full capacity, but if I'm reading the software statistics correctly, I have the memory about 30% full.

I also noticed I can load other config files in and push them to the scanner, so if anyone has a really good system preload that does what I'm reasonably looking for let me know!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The files you would be looking for would be software-dependent; there are 4 biggies, really, for the XT scanners - FreeScan (which is freeware), BcTool, ARC-XT and ProScan. They're all linked here...

Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

I think you're going to find that you would be hard-pressed to put all 48 states in the scanner, but with some planning, I don't see why you couldn't put the 4 states you mentioned. There are limits to the number of systems, sites and groups you can have. The wiki specifies this clearly...

BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

I suspect you will need to focus on the counties to which you will travel but much luck in any case

and if you haven't done this already, you would need a USB-serial connection to mate up with your PC. This article from our wiki discusses this in some detail...

Connecting Scanners via USB - the RR Wiki

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

Drake69

Premium Subscriber
Actually I forgot to list that I have the USB cable as well. I'll start reading up on the links you provided. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.