BCD996XT "hold" flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
My 996XT is flashing hold while still scanning. It will only scan one system quick key and not the others even though they're active. I have no idea what I did but does anyone know how to fix it?

cmpsa

I just had the same issue, blinking "HOLD". and I just shut it off.

So what does this "System Hold" feature actually do?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Let's say you have a number of systems on your scanner, as I do in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

You have the scanner going, covering whatever you have programmed. Nothing much happening out of the ordinary......

Then <<BAM>>
Some sort of large incident happens. Multiple alarm structure fire, maybe a vehicle crash with multiple injuries & also a haz-mat response for a chemical spill, the possibilities are endless.

If everything is being conducted on one frequency, then, sure, press "Hold" or "Manual" and stay on that frequency. But if it's a large incident, then it's likely several channels will be in use; depending on the agencies involved, that may be all on one system (especially in larger cities). So, you would use system hold to focus on that one system (and/or agency) to listen to the activity, rather than trying to turn off (or lock out) the other channels/frequencies/banks/scanlists/systems (depends on whatever programming scheme your scanner uses). Much quicker to do with "system hold", and much easier to return to 'normal operation' after whatever you were focused on is resolved.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

From the XT Complete Reference Guide:

HM39k.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
on the 996t if you want to temp. hold on a system, you can do so by pressing FUNC (press and hold for 2 seconds to latch on).

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
MFD, You're welcome :) Just happy I could help out!

Wish you were up here today... It's been the most active day radio-wise in a long time!

Fzzt

Thanks this thread helped me as well. I stuck myself on one system and just couldn't figure out what I had done.

Status
Not open for further replies.