BCD996XT Key Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
I am working with a 996XT where the vertical row of keys just to the right of the display do not work. The keysafe mode is off but I have a feeling they are not defective but locked out. I tried reading the manual on the CD and found it to be very confusing. Any help would be appreciated!!

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ronaldski!!

You pointed me in the right direction!
Ribbon cables like the one which interfaces the Display CBA to the Main CBA in the 996XT are prone to oxidation and seating problems. What I did was to first remove the small amount of silicon glue that was on the cable at each end with a small flat blade screwdriver. This type of RTV glue will peel off easily and generally leaves no residue nor causes damage. Next, using a small flat blade, I lifted up each side of the black retainer on both ends of the cable - they will not come out but just "pop" up slightly. This enables the cable to slip out of the connector. With the cable completely out of the radio I used a clean rubber eraser (pink) to clean the contacts the slid the ends back into their connectors and pushed the retainers back into place. We find this kind of a problem in Kenwood radios and other applications where this type of ribbon cable. This one is big enough it is easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.