BCD996XT Newbie on MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mi75

Hello,

I just purchased a BCD996XT after a couple of years of wanting one. I bought it used off of eBay and purchased it so I could monitor the MPSCS. It came with a data cable, however it is an older serial data cable and I do not own any computers old enough to have that port. I can order a newer cable but I was hoping to be able to get this thing up and running today.

Our county still runs on VHF with a patch-over for MSP units, so I've never had an absolute NEED to monitor MPSCS... so I have absolutely no experience with P25. I understand the general concept of how the system works and I have attempted to program the scanner however I'm not getting anywhere with it.

It's running firmware 1.04.00, and from what I understand re-banding is already supported on this firmware. I created the P25 system manually and created my local site. I input all of the frequencies listed in the RR database for the site closest to me and saved it. I created a group for our counties talkgroups to test the system out, and began scanning, however it's not picking anything up. The display shows the site name at the top, followed by a scrolling "ID SCAN", followed by what looks to be the control channel, followed by SO:1 (flashing) and GRP1 (because I only have one group so far).

When I hit the hold button it displays the SID information and successfully shows the system ID number and the site ID number which I did not input anywhere so it's obviously connecting and at least receiving some proper data, it's just not picking up any radio traffic. Does it have anything to do with the band plan? I left it blank during setup.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to use this without having to wait another week for a cable in the mail.

mi75

Disregard, I've gotten it working. Sorry for the useless post.

For the record I believe it was a combination of a weak signal and the squelch setting (which I didn't know effected P25 systems)

Now to enjoy the world of digital radio... ;)

a29zuk

Hello,
What site are you trying to listen to? Did you assign a quick key for the group you created? If you did, is it locked out? It looks like you assigned a quick key for your system as your scanner is going into "ID Scan".

Jim

Last edited:

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just purchased a BCD996XT after a couple of years of wanting one. I bought it used off of eBay and purchased it so I could monitor the MPSCS. It came with a data cable, however it is an older serial data cable and I do not own any computers old enough to have that port. I can order a newer cable but I was hoping to be able to get this thing up and running today.

Our county still runs on VHF with a patch-over for MSP units, so I've never had an absolute NEED to monitor MPSCS... so I have absolutely no experience with P25. I understand the general concept of how the system works and I have attempted to program the scanner however I'm not getting anywhere with it.

It's running firmware 1.04.00, and from what I understand re-banding is already supported on this firmware. I created the P25 system manually and created my local site. I input all of the frequencies listed in the RR database for the site closest to me and saved it. I created a group for our counties talkgroups to test the system out, and began scanning, however it's not picking anything up. The display shows the site name at the top, followed by a scrolling "ID SCAN", followed by what looks to be the control channel, followed by SO:1 (flashing) and GRP1 (because I only have one group so far).

When I hit the hold button it displays the SID information and successfully shows the system ID number and the site ID number which I did not input anywhere so it's obviously connecting and at least receiving some proper data, it's just not picking up any radio traffic. Does it have anything to do with the band plan? I left it blank during setup.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to use this without having to wait another week for a cable in the mail.

Hi, and welcome to RR!!, As listed above which site are u trying to monitor? Make sure it is in "search" mode of "scan" mode, I find that best sometimes. Scan mode will only scan the "radio id's" that you have programmed in, if their is none entered, then that would be the most likely reason you are not hearing anything. Also make sure u assign what is called a quick key. If you look at ur display on the scanner, it should show 1 or whatever number u have assigned for the system you have programmed. If it shows just stars (*) then the system is locked out or in old school form the "bank" is locked out. So to unlock it all you have to do is push 1 or whatever quick key number you have assigned for the system programmed. If ya need further help feel free to send me a PM and I'll guide ya through it. I have some sites of the MPSCSS programmed in my scanner as well. Happy scanning and enjoy the 996XT :)

mi75

Sorry guys I got it working. My posts need to be approved before you can see them because I'm new to the forums and I apparently don't have access to PM anybody either......

I am still having a few issues though. As far as ID search mode I have 3 groups of talkgroup ids programmed in, search mode picks up talkgroups that I don't want to hear so I have it in ID Scan mode.

In our county our entire radio system is VHF, and state police is patched over on MPSCS. Last night before I went to sleep I had my VHF portable radio beside the BCD996XT listening to our police dispatch channel and all traffic was coming through on both radios. Then after waking up I noticed that it was no longer picking up ANY traffic on that talkgroup. I hadn't changed any settings and the scanner was sitting in the same spot with the same signal as before. It's not just that talkgroup either. I can listen to D5NORTH dispatch for MSP perfectly but I've never heard a thing on D5SOUTH which is the talkgroup more relevant to my location. So I'm randomly not receiving certain talkgroups and I'm not sure why. The local channel works on and off and D5SOUTH has never worked.

It's got 3-4 bars in the signal strength. Also to answer your questions I am trying to monitor the Leonidas site ( https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10586 ) Is it possible the RR database is missing frequencies for this site which is why I'm only receiving certain talkgroups half the time? Should I enter in all of the frequencies from the FCC License page for this site instead, or does that include frequencies not part of the system? ( ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WPNT240 - MICHIGAN, STATE OF - Frequencies Summary )

Like I said I'm new to digital systems so I'm just trying to troubleshoot why I'm only hearing talkgroups part of the time.

Any help with this would be appreciated... and hawkeye32 if I could PM you I would but I believe I'm locked out of that feature temporarily since I'm a new member to the forums.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys I got it working. My posts need to be approved before you can see them because I'm new to the forums and I apparently don't have access to PM anybody either......

I am still having a few issues though. As far as ID search mode I have 3 groups of talkgroup ids programmed in, search mode picks up talkgroups that I don't want to hear so I have it in ID Scan mode.

In our county our entire radio system is VHF, and state police is patched over on MPSCS. Last night before I went to sleep I had my VHF portable radio beside the BCD996XT listening to our police dispatch channel and all traffic was coming through on both radios. Then after waking up I noticed that it was no longer picking up ANY traffic on that talkgroup. I hadn't changed any settings and the scanner was sitting in the same spot with the same signal as before. It's not just that talkgroup either. I can listen to D5NORTH dispatch for MSP perfectly but I've never heard a thing on D5SOUTH which is the talkgroup more relevant to my location. So I'm randomly not receiving certain talkgroups and I'm not sure why. The local channel works on and off and D5SOUTH has never worked.

It's got 3-4 bars in the signal strength. Also to answer your questions I am trying to monitor the Leonidas site ( https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10586 ) Is it possible the RR database is missing frequencies for this site which is why I'm only receiving certain talkgroups half the time? Should I enter in all of the frequencies from the FCC License page for this site instead, or does that include frequencies not part of the system? ( ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WPNT240 - MICHIGAN, STATE OF - Frequencies Summary )

Like I said I'm new to digital systems so I'm just trying to troubleshoot why I'm only hearing talkgroups part of the time.

Any help with this would be appreciated... and hawkeye32 if I could PM you I would but I believe I'm locked out of that feature temporarily since I'm a new member to the forums.

No problems at all, sorry for the late response. Sounds to me that it may be a reception problem. As long as the ID's u have are correct and in scan mode then all in theory should be fine. Also if you are close to paging towers, cell towers, tv/radio towers etc then that could be causing ur problem as well. The BCD has a very sensitive front end. To me it sounds like a reception problem. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail, and just let me know if u got it, that way i can send you a file for ur scanner, or if u need help in programming I can help that way as well. I think I remember u saying you don't have the proper programming cable, which is fine. The file I can send u can open up in ARCXT which is the programming software for the BCD996xt, and u can refernce the file for manual programming. Hope this helps, and feel free to e-mail me beings u can't PM :)
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.