BCD996XT next scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Time for me to pony up for a new one. I really like the fire tone out search feature so that's a big selling point to me.

Was just wondering if any BCD996XT owners could give me thoughts about this scanner both pro and con ?

Thanks !

mitbr

Hello. I own the 996xt scanner.
In my opinion this is the best scanner made by Uniden except for the 536hp which I also own.
The only thing that I don't like about the 996xt is the quality of the p25 digital decoding the 536hp is far superior for digital systems.
If you don't need to listen to digital systems then the 996xt is for you.
Tim

oracavon

I like mine, with one big exception. It has a horrendous squelch tail that's really annoying. That's not a factor on trunked systems, but it can be very irritating on conventional channels. Using PL doesn't always solve the problem, either. If the PL drops off simultaneously with the carrier, you still get the squelch tail. If the PL drops off before the carrier does, however, then you won't get a squelch tail.

Other than that, it has the usual Uniden P25 decoding limitations. It works fine on non-simulcast systems, but you can get choppy audio on simulcast systems unless you can find a magical combination of P25 settings that work for you. And tailoring the settings for a simulcast system can result in choppy audio on non-simulcast systems. So it's a one-or-the other situation.

Nonetheless, I am satisfied with the radio overall. It's easy to customize programming with a good software utility (once you understand its memory architecture), and the audio quality is better than other scanners I have. The digital audio can take a little getting used to, but it's not bad.

SCPD

QRT
996xt

Sold my 996xt to get the 536HP and I wish I didnt,I loved the 996XT,its loud,clear,scans fast,has service search,good sensitivity on all bands,trunk control channel search and more.Get one! Excellent,even better with the
software and Radio Reference subscription.

I have a 436HP now and I like it better than the 536HP alot.
Wish I still had my 996XT though.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
996XT

I like mine so much I kept it when I got a 536HP. Works a lot better on feeding audio for my FEED to RR. After you get use to the 536HP display the 996XT display looks small for some reason. But, I do like the fact that the 996XT shows the tower where the 536 does not.

Eng74

If you do not need phase 2 P25 can go wrong with the 996XT. Fire Tone Out works great, the only thing better on the BCDX36HP is that you can have 30 stations over the 10 that the earlier radios with Fire Tone Out had. If you don't need digital and are just wanting it for the tone out search the BCD15XT is great also.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have a BCD996XT and his little brother the BCD396XT and I think they are the best scanners ever produced. I have no problem decoding digital voice or P25, and the audio is better than the new HPs. I had a 436HP for a short while and did not notice any improvement in digital decoding over the XTs.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The only issue I have with my 996XT is the decoding of simulcast systems. On P25 conventional, or non-simulcast systems, the decode is very clear.

If you don't have simulcast systems in your area, I'm sure you'll be pleased with this scanner.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I really like my 996xt. Best reception of any of my scanners (both conventional and digital trunked). It was well worth the money. The only con is, no Phase II, but I knew that before I bought it. : )

Premium Subscriber
Change of plans I snagged a brand new BCD396XT unopened box for $275.00.... too good to pass up !

Premium Subscriber
Where did you find the BCD396XT for $275.00...?

TIA!!

Ebay buy it now or best offer but it was listed in such a way that it wasn't in the main scanner section. Listed for 300... I offered 275 and they jumped on it. Sure enough it was an unopened box.

Loaded it up with freescan and I am getting 2 digital systems right now :D

DeadMike

Ebay buy it now or best offer but it was listed in such a way that it wasn't in the main scanner section. Listed for 300... I offered 275 and they jumped on it. Sure enough it was an unopened box.

Loaded it up with freescan and I am getting 2 digital systems right now :D

That was a great find! Saved yourself some coin!

cfn

BCD 996XT GPS antenna

is the GPS antenna roof mounted or does it attach to the interior glass?

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not exactly sure about what you mean by "GPS antenna".

One cannot buy "just" a GPS antenna and connect it to the scanner. There also needs to be a device that takes the GPS data and translate it into something usable by the scanner.

Most folks I know of use either a GPS device with the NEMA compliant output, or the Uniden GPS device BC-GPSK.

Uniden GPS Receiver for BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT and HomePatrol | ScannerMaster.com

I use one of the Uniden devices in my truck. This sits on the dashboard with the cable routed to the scanner.

cfn

is the GPS antenna roof mounted or does it attach to the interior glass?

I'm not exactly sure about what you mean by "GPS antenna".

One cannot buy "just" a GPS antenna and connect it to the scanner. There also needs to be a device that takes the GPS data and translate it into something usable by the scanner.

Most folks I know of use either a GPS device with the NEMA compliant output, or the Uniden GPS device BC-GPSK.

Uniden GPS Receiver for BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT and HomePatrol | ScannerMaster.com

I use one of the Uniden devices in my truck. This sits on the dashboard with the cable routed to the scanner.

The GPS device for my truck's navigation device has a remote antenna on the roof. Perhaps a bettter question should have been where the GPS device you mentioned is mounted. Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.