BCD996XT on 1.2GHz ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone receiving anything on 1.2GHz with the BCD996XT?

I have an Icom ID-1 transceiver, which operates on 1.2GHz. I can easily hit an FM repeater 35 miles away with 1W, and I can easily hear the (25W) repeater. However, when listening to the repeater's output on the scanner, I hear nothing, and see nothing on the signal strength display on the scanner.

I have tried three different antennas (two are 2m/70cm/23cm tribanders) on the scanner, nothing. All three antennas work fine with the ID-1 and this repeater. I have tried three different short (1.5-3ft) BNC RG-58 interface cables, all giving nice strong signals to the scanner from 100MHz up through 850Mhz.

Now, if I transmit 1W locally on the repeater's output frequency (with the same tone setting), the scanner receives that just fine with a nice strong signal strength display on the scanner, but it also does that with no antenna/cable connected.

The 12db SINAD for the ID-1 receiver is 0.18uV; for the scanner on 1.2GHz it is supposedly 0.40uV.

The only thing remaining that I can think of, is that the repeater is slightly off frequency, and that the ID-1's receiver is able to capture the off-frequency signal, but the scanner is not. The ID-1 and scanner are in frequency sync with each other, as I can vary the ID-1's frequency slightly and verify the limits of the scanner's capture range (just under +-10kHz in this band). The repeater's input capture range tests at a similar range (just under +-10kHz).

Unfortunately, I cannot vary the repeater's output frequency, and I have not found an easy way to slightly vary the scanner's receive frequency, so I have repeatedly modified the receive frequency in the scanner, but that's clumsy, unless there is a way to vary it with the knob. In fact, this is my main complaint about the scanner: No way (that I have found) to use the knob to change frequencies. Anyway, by repeatedly modifying the scanner's frequency in 5kHz steps, it does not hear the repeater within +-30kHz,

That leaves the scanner as being partially deaf in the 1.2GHz band.

Last edited:

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Solution!

Is anyone receiving anything on 1.2GHz with the BCD996XT?

That leaves the scanner as being partially deaf in the 1.2GHz band.
Sigh ... I had set up the scanner with a CTCSS tone (103.5) for KB7CNN, the only 1.2GHz FM repeater I can hit. Of course, on a scanner, the CTCSS tone setting has nothing to do with repeater input, but rather repeater output. The KB7CNN repeater only enables CTCSS during normal M-F working hours (to counter industrial interference during that period), which wasn't when I was doing my testing.

Turned off the tone setting for this repeater, works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.