BCD996XT or PSR-600 - which one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

OK, so I'm in the market for a digital mobile scanner.

Ignore the fact that I have a BCD396XT handheld and mostly like it.

It seems like I've got two radios to choose from since the PSR-900 won't be out for another 3-4 months and I'm not really keen on a scanner that doesn't have a full keyboard anyway.

I guess I'm kinda leaning towards the 996XT for a few reasons:

* Freescan (what a fantastic free software package!!)
* I can keep pretty much the same configuration in the 396xt and 996xt.
* Better frequency coverage (25-1.3Ghz)
* More modern looking than the PSR's

But.....

* Some people say the PSR-600 sounds better than the Uniden on FM and P25 (This is a big deal to me if true).
* The PSR-600 has an audio delay that eliminates squelch bursts on FM (nice feature IMO).
* The PSR-600 is nearly $100 cheaper than the 996xt..

So, forget all the bells and whistles....

Which radio performs best on FM & P25 (trunking) and which has the best User Interface??
I'm actually pretty good with the Uniden 396XT UI, although every now and again I accidentally activate something that sends me off to the manual to work out what I have done.

Is the 996XT worth another $100 considering most of my monitoring is done on 160Mhz NBFM and 400Mhz FM conventional and P25 trunking anyway?

I know, it's a pretty hard question to answer. Probably only those few out there that own both radios would be able to provide an unbiased opinion, but it's worth a try..

Cheers,
Rick

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What kind of FM are you talking about?

I have heard that the PSR-600 is good on decoding trunked systems,but am not sure if it was digital or analog systems.But I heard also that it is susceptible to interference.And I heard that the BCD996XT is the opposite way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.