BCD996xt out-of-vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoyeb

I am considering the BCD996XT. I'm trying to decide on it vs. the handheld BCD396XT. I will probably scan while I ride my bike. I'm sure I can put it on my desk at home and find a 12V power supply. However, does this thing remove from the car well? Will it not like going in and out of the car? Also, when I'm on my bicycle, will it be awkward trying to power the unit? Does it draw more than the handheld unit since it expects to have an infinite power supply?

Does it have any features above the handheld, or is it that it just looks nice when mounted?

Thanks for the info.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
396XT vs 996XT

I am considering the BCD996XT. I'm trying to decide on it vs. the handheld BCD396XT. I will probably scan while I ride my bike. I'm sure I can put it on my desk at home and find a 12V power supply. However, does this thing remove from the car well? Will it not like going in and out of the car? Also, when I'm on my bicycle, will it be awkward trying to power the unit? Does it draw more than the handheld unit since it expects to have an infinite power supply?

Does it have any features above the handheld, or is it that it just looks nice when mounted?

Thanks for the info.

In a car I'd use the 996 but if you want to ride a bike and carry a scanner the 396XT would be a much better fit. As far as comparing the two, they are about the same when it comes to scanning. The 396 is much smaller and would work out better for you on a bike. The 996 would present power and antenna problems on a bike. Note: the 396 runs on 3 "AA" batteries. Anyway that is my 2 cents worth

eaf1956

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I ride with a 246 in my jersey pocket, and it works well. I'll probably switch to the 396, once digital comes to the systems I usually monitor while riding. I can't imagine lugging a 996 around. I think a handheld is going to hold up much better, especially if in your jersey or a bag on your body (better shock absorbtion), and of course it's a lot lighter. I can reach back and hit the hold key to resume/hold scanning. Otherwise, all of the keys are locked out to keep from accidentally enabling/disabling channels. I use an acoustic ear tube/phone that fits comfortably beneath my helmet.
Happy Scanning and Cycling,
Ben

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I have a 396xt and constantly carry it around everywhere I go. Get a 396xt. If you are even asking this question, I suggest you get a 396. Then after you get experienced with scanning, then decide if you want a base model.

Status
Not open for further replies.