Bcd996xt question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placid1

Is it normal for the squelch to not open channels on lowest setting (zero)?
I am used to setting the squelch by setting it lower until it opens a channel (static) then raising it until scanning resumes (no static), maybe this scanner dosent do that or I have some other setting on/off that would effect it?.

nanZor

Side note: When monitoring a trunked system, lowering the squelch to 0 won't open the squelch either, and from what I remember it isn't recommended to run this way when trunking - so I leave it squelched at 1 or more.

wmbio

01 is the most sensitive SQ setting, in most cases you will not hear the open squelch rushing on a 996XT unless there is no CTCSS or DCS settings applied as suggested above. I have also seen the scanner have a difficult time scanning with a SQ setting of 00.

enjoy
Wmbio

Placid1

All good info. Thanks!
I checked what I downloaded from RR into the scanner with freescan and it looks like all the conventional channels have CTCSS or DCS set.

I couldnt find that setting for the trunked systems in freescan.

Seems as though everything is ok as I am getting traffic on the trunked systems fine.

Thanks again for the help :)

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of the Squelch, I have a Question.. My squelch knob will turn 8 clicks from stop clockwise before it registers 1 on the moniter. Is this common on the 996xt?? or is something Off? The Volume is the same, only it only goes 5 clicks and then registers 1 on the moniter...

Last edited:

Placid1

Speaking of the Squelch, I have a Question.. My squelch knob will turn 8 clicks from stop clockwise before it registers 1 on the moniter. Is this common on the 996xt?? or is something Off? The Volume is the same, only it only goes 5 clicks and then registers 1 on the moniter...

Same here.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
So am i to ASUME that this is done intentionaly so you have to start higher on the squelch? and if so why not just make the first click a higher point on the scale; and why the volume? there is no change from 0-the 5th clck, the sound remains the same. Is that to keep you from going to far at the other end of the scale and overloading the speaker? makes no sence..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.