BCD996XT "Quick Search" sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtech

For some reason (I've never had this problem with any other scanner ever), searching frequencies in "quick search", the scanner misses many signals, even strong local ones.

Signals come in fine if I manually tune to any frequency, and the scanner also stops on (all/any) frequencies fine when scanning user-programmed channels or the pre-programmed banks. However, quick searching through known used frequencies, the scanner never stops on a signal, even when in the proper mode and not "Auto".

example/test case: Find a known local NOAA weather channel (for my example we will use 162.400). manually tune to it by pressing "hold", entering 162.4, press hold again to accept the frequency and set scanner to proper mode (NFM) by hitting "F" and mode until "NFM" shows. Now, tune below the freq manually maybe 500khz-1mhz by turning knob counter-clockwise. Now, press "F" (knob) then "Scan", if necessary turn knob clockwise to make quick search head up towards the previous NOAA freq. Now watch as the quick search doesn't stop on the NOAA channel we know is broadcasting. Turn the knob counter-clockwise to send the search back down towards the NOAA freqs, and watch the scanner blow right by them again.

so. What am I doing wrong here. This is rediculous if I cant even manually scan frequencies and expect the scanner to stop on strong signals. I've also verified this issue exists in the 2M ham band, If I scan my pre-programmed channels I receive fine, but searching via quick search the scanner never stops on a signal, even a repeater that is open at that moment.

very frustrating. Any ideas or a solution or point me at my error and I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks.
-Dave

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Important! There are many options and settings in Search/Close Call Options that affect and compliment the settings for searching. Below are a couple areas which could, along with others, be causing your problem.

"Broadcast Screen" these settings determine whether the scanner automatically ignores transmissions that are on common broadcasts, paging systems, and other annoyance radio sources during Custom Search, Quick Search, or Close Call Search.

"Quick Search" lets you search from the currently-tuned frequency if you are scanning, or enter a frequency to start searching from. Quick Search will search all the way up to 1300 MHz or all the way down to 25 MHz then start over. Note: As there is no 'Step' setting in 'Search and Close Call Options' anymore, you will have to set the step in 'Band Defaults'.

From Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

xtech

Thanks so much. While I am very familiar with the "Easier to Read" manual at Mark's (I've even printed a hard-copy and bound it some time ago), I do think I missed "broadcast screen", so I'll start with those settings.

As far as the step settings, the frequencies in question here fall within the default steps in their respective bands, so I don't see how that could be the problem.

I shall dig into this, thanks for the direction W8RMH, 73s

-Dave

xtech

Yep that was it.

I use freescan to program my scanner, rarely resorting to manually programming systems or settings. Per the scanner options in freescan pertaining to the broadcast screen: "Select the bands you want to screen out, CLOSE CALL will ignore these bands to avoid nuisance triggering".

That wording was misleading and had me believe that the setting would not apply to quick search, when in fact it does. I suppose I need to read the Mark's manual a couple more times and not make assumptions based on my software's wording :)

Anyways, Un-checking the entire list of the broadcast screen options has resulted in my scanner acting as desired :).

It really is nice the level of control one can have over this scanner. I fall more in love with it every day.

Quick search doesn't suck, I suck :)

73's
-Dave

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI that the NOAA weather frequencies are wide band along with the 2 meter ham bands. There may be some local exceptions in the 2 meter ham bands but for the most part they are wide band.
BB

xtech

Yes by proper definition of the terms, and with this scanner, you are correct that both NOAA and ham freqs fall in the 25khz "FM" mode, and not 12.5khz "NFM". Most hams when referring to Narrow and wide are speaking of 12.5khz as narrowband and 25khz as wideband FM. In these terms you are correct.

However:
Radios such as my Yaesus refer to 25khz bandwidth as "NFM", and FM broadcast bandwidth as "WFM".

This is why I somewhat dislike when I hear Hams on 2m telling people to put their radios in WFM, because that could be very misleading depending on what kind of radio is being discussed, I think it would be more appropriate to discuss things in specific terms of bandwidth...

Anys, I'd make a friendly wager that you'd never have an issue receiving a 25khz wide signal with the scanner set to 12.5k wide, unless my understanding of radio really stinks. ;-)

edit: my bandwidths are probably off, I could mean 2.5khz is narrow and 5.0khz is wide?? There is a lot of confusion as to what classifies as what, it's different between radio makers, and even different people use different terms to refer to different bandwidths.
Back to my statement about speaking in specific terms of bandwidths instead of vague terms like "NFM" and "WFM" whose meaning changes greatly between mfrs and people.

Last edited:

xtech

on that subject, and getting wayy off topic here,

I cannot seem to find specs relating to what the bandwidths actually are on the BCD996XT FM modes.

?:-|

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
xtech,
You are correct. In the two-way radio world its wide band (25Khz) and narrow band (12.5KHz). I'm surprised Yaesu refers to them that way. What does Yaesu call 12.5 KHz? No wonder beginners have a hard time figuring it out. On most scanners you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
BB

RF23

Premium Subscriber
About all I could find is below but I bet you already have this info.
I was a bit surprised to see NFM listed for 162.000 since we all seem to agree that is not really true for NOAA anyway.

For the Uniden 996XT:

From the RR Wiki:

FM Bandwidths
NFM: ~7.5 kHz deviation
FM: ~15 kHz deviation
FMB: ~75 kHz deviation
WFM: >100 kHz deviation

From Uniden Twiki (URL below):

144.0000-147.9950 NFM 5 2 Meter Amateur Band
148.0000-150.7875 NFM 12.5 Military Land Mobile
150.8000-161.9950 NFM 5 VHF High Band
162.0000-173.9875 NFM 12.5 Federal Government