BCD396XT/BCD996XT: BCD996XT Rear Data Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I am using Windows 10 on my HP
The front port on my 996xt does not work anymore so I'm using the rear port with a USB Serial Cable

When I open the Butel software program and click on scanner, then Communication Setup, then it chooses the correct port but the lowest the software will take me is to 9600 Baud Rate. The back port requires 4800 ... unless I turn everything on in a certain sequence ... but it has stopped working or I'm not doing it right)

There is probably a lot more you need to know ...
I'm not sure if it's the scanner, HP, software .... but I'm open to suggestions.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The back port requires 4800 ... unless I turn everything on in a certain sequence ... but it has stopped working or I'm not doing it right)

Menu / Settings / GPS Baudrate will allow you to change the speed on the back serial connection.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I have read where when using the rear data port operates on 4800 baud rate ONLY ... that baud rate function works for the front port, and it is broken. However I use the Butel software and it will not dial down to 4800 Baud Rate. (9600 lowest setting)
Then the software indicates the port is busy and won't link up.
so not sure if it's my software program ... maybe I should use a different one. (Even though it has worked before ... and also on a different computer)
Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have read where when using the rear data port operates on 4800 baud rate ONLY ...

The rear port on the BCD996XT can indeed be set to different rates. Available choices are the same as the front port:

off

kruser

Premium Subscriber
On a BCD996XT,
Menu / Settings / Set Serial Port / Set Baud Rate / Set Rear Port / <make your selection and press E>

Are you using a proper serial cable for the rear port? I'm pretty sure it needs to be a "Null Modem" type cable or use a null modem adapter with a DB 9 Female to Female serial cable.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Menu / Settings / GPS Baudrate will allow you to change the speed on the back serial connection.

The BCD996XT does not have a setting labeled "GPS Baudrate". It is labeled "Set Rear Port".

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
On a BCD996XT,
Menu / Settings / Set Serial Port / Set Baud Rate / Set Rear Port / <make your selection and press E>

Are you using a proper serial cable for the rear port? I'm pretty sure it needs to be a "Null Modem" type cable or use a null modem adapter with a DB 9 Female to Female serial cable.

I'm also pretty sure you are correct. It's been awhile.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
From the manual (996P2):

Set GPS Baud Rate
Allows you to set the baud rate for the front and rear serial ports. You typically set the front port to match the speed used to communicate with BC-GPSK (default 4800 bps) and the back port to the speed used to communicate with an attached GPS device (default 4800 bps). Note that the back port is male. You may need a gender changer and a null modem adapter to use a typical DB9 serial cable from the rear port.
1. Scroll to ‘Set GPS Baud Rate’ and press E/ .
2. Scroll to Off, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, or 115200 and press E/ to save and exit.
3. Press MENU twice to return.

It looks like that 4800 you mention is only applicable when GPS devices are attached and in use. The other speeds are fine when you write to/read from the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.