BCD996XT RR/Freescan error: no APCO band plans loaded...solved (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyDetroit

Hello.
I'm new here. My last scanner was a PRO2030 that I've been using since I bought it 20 years ago.
I'm excited to have my new BCD996XT and am in the learning process.

Anyway, when I load all my data into the scanner via RR/Freescan, I would get errors about no band plan for Detroit and others. I spent a while trying to figure it out.
Finally, I loaded the scanner data back into Freescan on my PC and the band plans are there now (though only one or two lines worth). I later read that the scanner automatically 'gets' the band plan from the frequencies when scanned.

Example: For the site DetroitCity, the band plan that appeared after scanning for a few minutes is
Position 0 Freq 851.00625 Spacing 6.25
1 762.00625 6.25
And the rest are still all zeros.

Does this look right? I ask because Detroit seems unusually quiet on my scanner.

It also might help when I put my scanner antenna outside instead of my small attic, but it's too cold at the moment... I was thinking I'd be better off just using the small antenna that came with the scanner rather than the bigger, $45 antenna that is enclosed in the attic with snow covering the roof...

Thanks for any help or suggestions...
JoeyDetroit

joeuser

The Wretched
Hello.
I'm new here. My last scanner was a PRO2030 that I've been using since I bought it 20 years ago.
I'm excited to have my new BCD996XT and am in the learning process.

Anyway, when I load all my data into the scanner via RR/Freescan, I would get errors about no band plan for Detroit and others. I spent a while trying to figure it out.
Finally, I loaded the scanner data back into Freescan on my PC and the band plans are there now (though only one or two lines worth). I later read that the scanner automatically 'gets' the band plan from the frequencies when scanned.

Example: For the site DetroitCity, the band plan that appeared after scanning for a few minutes is
Position 0 Freq 851.00625 Spacing 6.25
1 762.00625 6.25
And the rest are still all zeros.

Does this look right? I ask because Detroit seems unusually quiet on my scanner.

It also might help when I put my scanner antenna outside instead of my small attic, but it's too cold at the moment... I was thinking I'd be better off just using the small antenna that came with the scanner rather than the bigger, $45 antenna that is enclosed in the attic with snow covering the roof...

Thanks for any help or suggestions...
JoeyDetroit

All I can tell you is Free scan will show errors for things that you don't need to always worry about. As long as you are getting your data imported from RR or copying it properly - you should be fine. Its also important to make sure you can even scan the system with that rig.
Last but not least... You could spend a grand on the worlds best scanner but it'll perform like crap without a decent antenna. Elevation is everything. You'd be better off with with your attic antenna assuming it has a good cable run, good connections, & not under a metal roof...

Voyager

If it's a P25 System, the scanner will load them from the data on the system.

JoeyDetroit

Thanks..

Now that you mention it, I am using the cheapest 18' coax I could find on Amazon. Scanner is located close to the ceiling access to the attic so I figured the cheapest 18 footer was fine. Since I'm not transmitting, I didn't think the quality of the coax mattered much.
Like I said...still learning.

Here's what I'm using:

-Centerfire Antenna Deluxe Discone

-18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors from LimitedGoods - $7.09

-RoadPro BNC MALE TO PL-259 FEMALE ADAPTER $6

It seems to work fine for now. My house is on a slab and close to the ground, so even the attic doesn't have much good elevation. Planning on putting outside when it gets warmer outside.

joeuser

The Wretched
Thanks..

Now that you mention it, I am using the cheapest 18' coax I could find on Amazon. Scanner is located close to the ceiling access to the attic so I figured the cheapest 18 footer was fine. Since I'm not transmitting, I didn't think the quality of the coax mattered much.
Like I said...still learning.

Here's what I'm using:

-Centerfire Antenna Deluxe Discone

-18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors from LimitedGoods - $7.09

-RoadPro BNC MALE TO PL-259 FEMALE ADAPTER $6

It seems to work fine for now. My house is on a slab and close to the ground, so even the attic doesn't have much good elevation. Planning on putting outside when it gets warmer outside.

I'd say you'd want to try better cable. I suppose what you have "works" but RG6 is probably as low as most would suggest you use. LMR400 & others are even better. Keep the run as short as possible. Avoid RFI. Your antenna should be fine & connectors also.

Status
Not open for further replies.