BCD996XT Service search Airband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Is the default step search for this band supposed to be 8.3khz? It used to be 25khz. I'm not up to date on the aero band activities so if I missed something like this it doesn't surprise me.

Also I noticesd that if I go into the settings and change the band defaults for the air band to 25khz and then go back to the service search for the air band it still uses 8.3khz steps. Is there somewhere else I have to make a change?

When this scanner searches the air band in 8.3khz steps it stops on many birdy frequencies that it would not have stopped on if it were searching in 25khz steps.

Someone set me straight on this please. Thank you.

spooney

I think if you enter your own custom search and set the step it should work better. For edit service search I don't see a way to change the step.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks..I was going to do that but I figured I'd wait to see if the air band service search step size could be altered.

So is the standard step in the air band now 8.3KHz? I haven't heard any activity on any frequencies other than the normal band plan of 25KHz steps.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how many of the other service search options are searching with the incorrect step?

There sure are a lot of birdy frequencies in the air band using this plan. It could take a week to get through the band one time.

So I suppose I'll have to make a custom band search with the correct step since this service search is useless. Thanks Uniden.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Channel spacing on the airband has been 25 kHz. However, increasing congestion has led to further subdivision into 8.33 kHz channels in the ICAO European region; all aircraft flying above 19,500 feet are required to be capable of handling this reduced spacing. Therefore, to be compatible with international standards, Uniden scanners use the 8.33 kHz step.

So, when you remove the antenna your scanner stops on a lot of "noise" frequencies (i.e. birdies) in Air Search? Under those conditions, my desk units all make it through the entire search without stopping. If yours is getting birdies (internally generated signals), then it might have some other issues. Or, you are very near an external source of RF interference (i.e. not a birdie).

Status
Not open for further replies.